Numpty Q of the day!! Brake pads - toe in???

LardLover
LardLover Posts: 676
edited February 2009 in Workshop
So, took the Parlee out for it's 1st ride yesterday afternoon. It was gorgeous, sadly let down very badly by its rider (thankfully it was the afternoon and not many people out, especially to see me struggle on some climbs :oops: ) - must get out A LOT more.

Anyhoo, everything worked great, nothing rattled, no missed or skipping gears. The ONLY thing that bothered me was the brakes, squealing like a banshee :oops: :oops: :oops: !!!!

So my Numpty Q of the day is this:

"Do the brake pads need to be toed in (spelling?) to reduce / stop brake squeal?"

(Please bear in mind, when reading this question, that I have just come over from a mountain bike background where I have been using disc brakes for over 10 years. When I did use canti brakes I had to toe in the pads, I presume it's just the same?)

Comments

• I press both the caliper arms ( with loose pads) against rim - and then tighten the pads.
    Means the pads are parallel with the rim.

Works fine on my bikes with Campagnolo and Mavic calipers
    And NOOOO noise.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Toeing in is a waste of time. They soon wear parallel anyway so just set them that way. Squealing is often because the rims or blocks are contaminated. Give them a good clean with soap and water.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Tacx do a brake shoe setting thing which is v.good for ....setting brake pads.
    M.Rushton
  • I find it hard to believe the rims and pads are contaminated, they're brand spanking new.

I might try cleaning the rims with some meths, just in case though.

I agree with you about toeing in and the fact that they'll wear parallel eventually.

That's the way I set them up gundersen.

Hmmmm.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It only needs a greasy hand on the rim. Anything could have happened in the shop. It would probably sort itself out if you left it.
  • It's both front and rear though John. T

I've given it a good wipe with some meths, let's see if that sorts it (won't get a chance to get out till Friday though).
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Everybody will have a toe-in tool at home, including non-cyclists. i use a poece of paper folder over several times to give a thickness of 1mm. Make 2 of these and place them under the rear end of the shoes, pull on the brakes and loosen the nut/bolt holding the pads in place and squeeze the brakes again and tighten up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • That's what I used to do redvee (and have done today, as well as giving my rims a good buff with some Meths).
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    Could it be the pad material?
    On my commuter bike I have some Wilko pads which are hard and long-lasting but scream like hell.Good for scaring dozy peds. :twisted: