First race done - mised results!

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited February 2009 in Amateur race
Well, I've just got back having taken part in my first ever race - the Cat 4 beginners race at Chertsey.

Unfortunately, I punctured on the third lap so only did about 5 laps in total, thanks to a particularly nice piece of metal that had poked through my tyre.

Thanks to the chap from London Dynamo who pulled over with me and gave me a hand - had he not had a penknife with him, I wouldn't have been able to get the metal out of the tyre.

It was a lot tougher than I had expected: if that is Cat4 then I'm in for a real shock. I was dropped each time over the climb on the circuit so at least I know what to work on. Oddly I found myself catching the group on the flat, but I was so destroyed trying to keep up on the climbs that I was pretty lonely out there for most of it.

Very fun though and I'll definitely be back for some more (pain, humiliation).

Comments

• By the way, the title should be 'mixed results'. Clearly all that cycling has turned my brain to mashed potato.
  • I was in this race as well - fantastic fun! I really loved it as my first race on the road.

Pretty pleased i managed to stay in the top of the bunch for much of the race - I need to work on my sprinting though!

very well run and fantastic fun - gotta buy that BC license now!
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Well done chaps. You did not crash and you learnt something. That is a good result!
  • Now, I wasn't too shabby but when I look at the results it seems the winner's average speed was over 30mph:

http://surreyleague.co.uk/results/resul ... 2-e123.htm

Surely that can't be right?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Distance wrong maybe ?

Hats off to the guy withe the penknife - never would I have thought to ride with one in a race !

Well done on your first race anyway.
  • Now, I wasn't too shabby but when I look at the results it seems the winner's average speed was over 30mph:

http://surreyleague.co.uk/results/resul ... 2-e123.htm

Surely that can't be right?

I think that is the E/1/2/3 race result?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Penknife.. Crikey on a race? - McGyver out of retirement - Wonder what Lance has on this guy!!..

Good job crocodile dundee wasnt there... "thats not a knife, This is a knife"

Sounds like you had fun and that is the main thing.. Well done
    cartoon.jpg
  • The results linked above is the E/1/2/3 result, I was in that race and it was seriously quick, although not 30mph. My average was 41kph for the race (which was 78km not 81km due to a late start I think).

EDIT: According to the winners time and the distance, he averaged 42.5kph, not sure how this is possible given that he finished only 10s ahead of me! I guess my garmin must have got a little upset by all the trees!

EDIT again: Actually, my average wasn't 41 at all... I forgot to deselect my warm-down... so 42.5kph it was!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    cougie wrote:
    Hats off to the guy withe the penknife - never would I have thought to ride with one in a race !
    Chertsey is a tough neighbourhood :lol:
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    I have never seen a 4th cat race blow apart before. I suppose it was partly because it is early season on a fairly demanding course.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    The results linked above is the E/1/2/3 result, I was in that race and it was seriously quick, although not 30mph. My average was 41kph for the race (which was 78km not 81km due to a late start I think).

EDIT: According to the winners time and the distance, he averaged 42.5kph, not sure how this is possible given that he finished only 10s ahead of me! I guess my garmin must have got a little upset by all the trees!

EDIT again: Actually, my average wasn't 41 at all... I forgot to deselect my warm-down... so 42.5kph it was!

That was one hard race, it was one attack after another. I came in with the main group. average speed 26mph. You did well to come in 10s behind Justin Hoy. Also given that the time is started when the 3V's went off. The break group probably averaged 27!
  • Does anyone know who the professional photographer is taking photos? Or if it was a professional at all? It would be nice to get some photos.
  • Hi,
    I was at that one too, great fun I thought! I think I saw you by the side of the road Barry for a couple of laps-unlucky mate, nice of the other guy to help though. Someone from my club did some short videos of the races if your interested, number 5 is the finish of the 4cat race(quite a bunched finish): http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... +race&aq=f

Tim
  • i was there but missed the break that went and with steve saunders in (club mate from kingston) so had to just sit in. there again this sunday however.
    tikka
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • Turns out I wasn't only 10 seconds behind the winner after all! I was so knackered I hadn't even realised that the guys we caught weren't the whole break! So I was actually about 1minute 30 behind the leader... 10s behind John Wager who won the main bunch sprint.
  • :)
    tikka
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.