Track Sprocket Removal

turkeytickler
turkeytickler Posts: 640
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Hi all - can anyone help?

I'm trying to change the sprocket on the fixed side of my fuji track - ive got the lockring off, but the sprocket seems to be fixed with loctite and nothing will shift it.

Ive tried backpressure on the pedals, bent the arm of my chainwhip, taken the skin off my knuckles, popped the rivets in one part of the chain in the chainwhip, tried a hairdryover over the loctite - but nothing will shift it....

anyone have any other ideas?

tt

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Try and tighten it a bit first.
    If that does not work, try a paint brush with a bit of diesel on it to loosen the locktite.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    And then a block of hardwood and a big hammer and drift it off.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • A decent chainwhip, not the mild steel bar with a bit of chain on it. try one of the old Campag chain whips or the one Shimano sell now (chainwhip and lockring spanner in one).

I'd be very surprised it was Loctited on.If you have been psuhing hard on big hills, etc it will be quite tight.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Try reverse Rotafixing it. I've used this method in the past to put sprockets on and to remove stubborn ones. There's a good step by step guide here for putting them on so follow those steps but wrap the chain on the bottom of the sprocket instead of the top and turn the wheel the opposite direction to that shown and it should come off. Just make sure you put an old rag or something round the BB to stop it scratching the paint.
  • A decent chainwhip, not the mild steel bar with a bit of chain on it. try one of the old Campag chain whips or the one Shimano sell now (chainwhip and lockring spanner in one).

I'd be very surprised it was Loctited on.If you have been psuhing hard on big hills, etc it will be quite tight.

it is definately loctited on - i can see the stuff <grrr>
  • Try and tighten it a bit first.
    If that does not work, try a paint brush with a bit of diesel on it to loosen the locktite.
    hmmm where can i get diesel in that quantity? is it some kind of solvent?
  • System wrote:
    Try reverse Rotafixing it. I've used this method in the past to put sprockets on and to remove stubborn ones. There's a good step by step guide here for putting them on so follow those steps but wrap the chain on the bottom of the sprocket instead of the top and turn the wheel the opposite direction to that shown and it should come off. Just make sure you put an old rag or something round the BB to stop it scratching the paint.
    thanks system - I hade great hopes - but no - this didnt shift it either :evil:
  • park tools chain whip, get the best and if it fails then you have no hope!

get a huge long steel bar to fit over the end of the chain whip to give you a huge amount of leverage, get a friend etc to hold the wheel and put all your wieght on the bar!

it might work it might not! :D
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    If you have access to a large vice, put some bits wood along the jaws of the vice to hold and protect the sprocket if you need to and then use the leverage of the wheel to undo it.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • meagain
    Best vfm wrench probably one of these

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469

With a 1/2" square drive >18" breaker bar and if necessary a section of frame tubing (I always cut a few sections out before a bike makes the final tip trip) as lever....either the sprocket will come off or the hub shell will shatter!!
    d.j.
  • meagain
    Best vfm wrench probably one of these

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469

With a 1/2" square drive >18" breaker bar and if necessary a section of frame tubing (I always cut a few sections out before a bike makes the final tip trip) as lever....either the sprocket will come off or the hub shell will shatter!!
    d.j.
  • thanks for all the advice guys.... LBS sorted for me in the end with a blowtorch! 8)