Anyone ridden Ben Lomond?

marinman1
marinman1 Posts: 262
edited March 2009 in MTB rides
im thinking of doing it maybe in the spring, how is it? is most of it rideable, i'm not looking for anything too technical, a bit of a challenge but nothing major. or does anyone have any other nearby mountains good for riding?

Comments

• Hey,
    I did the red route out of this month's wmb mag. They have a feature of trails round Mugdock park, all starting from Milngavie train station. It was really good with great views and some whoopy singletrack. Not really high mountains as such but it was good to see something near Glasgow for a change! Im defo going to spend some summer days up at Mugdock as there was lots of technical singletrack off to the side of the main paths.
    I have walked Ben Lomond and as far as I can remember it would be pretty rideable, although maybe not the steepest bits at the bottom. Im going to do the section of the west highland way from Tyndrum to Inverarnan with a good dinner and booze up at Inverarnan, Ive mapped it out here

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ty ... Inverarnan

I had a great day out doing a loop of Glen Lyon at Arrochar, and Id like to bike up the path to the cobbler in the summer as I think it would be really good on the way down!

Hope all this helps[/url]
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    You'll kill yourself. It drops 3,000ft in two and a half miles.
  • Marinman, the guys from Craig McMartin Cycles on Pollokshaws Rd have done Ben Lomond.

Ask for some info on their forum

http://www.glasgowcycles.co.uk/Forum/
  • marinman1
    marinman1 Posts: 262
    thanks for the replies, i'm in craig mcmartins quite a lot so i'll just go in and ask them rather that use the forum.
  • peelerdh
    peelerdh Posts: 40
    scott?
    its chris
    its pretty much 99% ridable , there is a very steep drop at the veryend that you cant ride but its a really good push
  • stevomcd
    stevomcd Posts: 37
    As peelerdh says, it's almost all rideable on the way down and you can even pedal up maybe 60% of it.

If you're not looking for anything technical though it may not be your thing. Steep and rocky with some tight corners in places.
    Mountain bike holidays in the French Alps - www.whiteroomchalet.com