Parents gat about helmet

fourcrossjohn
fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
edited February 2009 in The Crudcatcher
i need a new helmet because ive buggered my old 1 up: cracked shell
split the eps foam inner and somehow melted and re dryed the glue inside :?

it was a skid lid and i want to get a full face as my riding has become more aggresive and my crashes more intennse.

my parents wont let me buy a ful face helmet even out of my own money because apparently vision and sound is poor :roll:

i'm currently stuck with my dads old met cross country helmet and i'm worried i'm gonna plant my chin into something soon as ive had a few scares and even on road the met dosent feel safe....

how can i get them to see the light?

Comments

• Show them what happens when you ride with a crap helmet.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12608593&highlight=

They may have a point if your riding on the road ref the sound, but if you don't ride on the road this should be no problem.

Tell them you need to keep your film star good looks!!!!
  • not for the Squeamish

this should do it
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    my parents wont let me buy a ful face helmet even out of my own money because apparently vision and sound is poor

vision is hardly any different, you basically get the same peripheral as with a piss pot, possibly a bit less if you wear goggles though But sound?? you dont need to hear things on a trail, i ride mine when i go dhing without a lid on until i get on the trails and im riding through a busy town centre and on the main road to fort william, never had problems, but if i did wear my full face on the road its not like you can't hear anything, you just got to be more aware of cars eg always keep shoulder checking
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • parents still want me to get a piss pot, not like its a halfords own full face its a sweet 661 from chain reaction :)

ive just had my braces out aswell and i'd hate to have a chin cruncher and muck all the work too :(
  • Just be a rebel and buy the helmet, you're the one who's riding the bike, not them. Would they be telling you to wear a piss pot if you rode a motorbike, I don't think so.
    And remember it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I agree with everyone else, except your parents.
    Have they ever watched Brainiac. "Safety first, Brainiac second" :lol:

And I agree with Th3 Firestarter, buy the helmet.
    They can't make you not to wear it. :wink:
  • funny u should bring up the whole forgiveness and permision thing i watched eragon last nite 8)

ive tried the whole motorbike thing and they would disown me if i got a motorbike before i left home, and ive been thinking bout getting a motocross bike!

they think if i'm in enough danager to need a full face i shouldnt be riding, they bought me the same bike thst chris smith uses for christ sake , WHAT DO THEY EXPECT ME TO DO!!

but the only way i can buy a full face is by going to halfords and getting one of their bull helmets, unfortunatley i dot ave an account with chainreaction
  • xtreem
    As I can see the Halfords don't have fullface helmets.
    Any other lbs?

Btw, if I may ask, how old are you?
  • they do, my local halfords - newport isle of wight sells the hood piss pot and full face helmet, funnily enough hood are owned by the bikehut at halfords
  • Just stay in front of the living room TV all day and night eating crisps, putting on weight and getting in their way, as you don't want to ride with a piss pot helmet and you don't feel safe without a full face helmet.

See who gets bored the quickest you or your parents who want to watch what they want on their TV.
  • nice approach :)

i'm getting a piss pot now , i have officialy lost
  • Ask them for a divorce or tell them that everyone on here thinks riders who wear a piss pot helmet are ar$eholes.
  • xtreem
    i'm getting a wee-wee pot now , i have officialy lost
    Don't push too hard now. It's not worthed, and you're not racing.

Wait until you're 18 so you can buy what ever you want. :D
  • andytxc
    andytxc Posts: 666
    Ha ha those Hood helmets would crumple even if you drop them! You can get hold of a 661 helmet from Halfords. You will have to order it specially and it normally takes about a week to get through. Sounds like you have some strict parents!
  • yeah they are strict i took the weat if aproach and they just sdaid if its that dangerous you weont go biking then...

they dont understand its a way of life not just something i do with my apparently imature friends because all we wanna do is ride. :(
  • andytxc
    andytxc Posts: 666
    Just use the 'ok, i'll go and hang on street corners mixing with the ever-groing gun and knife population then...' atttempt!

May I suggest the MET Parachute?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Met_P ... 360033697/

Not as good as a proper full-face but may save your chin!
  • i hate the met parachute a mate had it whilst ridin and the chin brke on landing causing sevre cuts to his cheek,

and a tad to expensive

no more than £40