Race clothing

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
Sorry to be a numpty, but it is my first road race tomorrow in Surrey League and I've just realised that in the rules it says I must wear my club clothing or clothing free from advertising.

I don't have club kit as I only joined last week - and I was planning on riding in an old prutor top which obviously has Prudential advertising on it. Will I be allowed to race?

When I look at some of the pics from last year there are a few riders wearing Banesto kit and the last time I checked they didn't have a club in the South East...

Comments

• guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    I'm sure you'll be fine...I've seen people turn up in all sorts..
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Any shorts are ok but you should aim for a plain top. But don't worry, you're doing a beginners race, not a top level thing so it's unlikely you'll be mistaken for a pro! :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    From the sound of things in a previous post I would go the plain jersey route. Or at least take one with me just in case someone does say something. I'm here in the states
    and officiate at races and it seems that there is always some racer protesting a race
    due to a variety of reasons. One actually being that one person thought he should be moved up a place in his race because someone who finished ahead of him had on a pro team
    jersey and didn't belong to that team. We, as officials, hadn't spotted it. The guy with the "illegal" jersey was regulated to "out of the money" so to speak. If no one would have
    protested, the results would stand, but someone did and that someone was within the rules.

Dennis Noward
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think 4th cats are allowed to wear anything - so if it's your first race you should be OK - though if you have something fairly plain bring it with you just in case.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dennisn
    I think 4th cats are allowed to wear anything - so if it's your first race you should be OK - though if you have something fairly plain bring it with you just in case.

Like Tom B. says you will PROBABLY be O.K. but you might have to endure a bit of
    razzing about "being a pro" if you wear a pro kit. Some of those guys are ruthless, in
    a good natured way.

Dennis Noward
  • From the British Cycling rules

8.1.9 In Road and Track events, Youth, Fourth and
    Provisional category licence holders and BC non
    licence holders will be allowed to wear any suitable
    clothing whilst competing in events under the
    Technical Regulations of the Federation, including that
    bearing registered or unregistered advertising except
    in the case of National Championships when they
    must comply with T.R. 8.1.1 to 8.1.6. However
    protective headgear must be worn in accordance with
    T.R. 8.6.
  • dennisn
    From the sound of things it would seem that the U.S. & U.K. racing run on pretty much the same sets of rules.

Dennis Noward
  • Ricardo H
    Ricardo H Posts: 167
    what club did you join? we never did meet up for a ride. i'm in the wheelers now
  • jamiecurry
    jamiecurry Posts: 34
    impsport direct offer good quality clothing

its all uk made so support our uk manufacturers

whats more they will provide an excellent after sales support and god forbid if you put a hole in your clothing will quote you a panel replacement fee if you want, they also shorten sleeves/jerseys etc if you need them to alter any clothing bought from them too.

I've used impsport for a number of years and always very happy with dan ellmore and his teams service
    Inverse Racing UK / Bikefood
    http://www.inverseracing.com
  • BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    Don't worry about it. Just enjoy your racing.

I ran a commercially sponsored team at national level for years, and nobody ever questionned our kit or sponsors (even though they were all registered and paid for to BC) I now race on the road and its still the same. Recently I have twice had to race in colours other than those registered to me and nobody bats an eyelid, there are more important things to worry about when organising a road race on open roads, particularly at the lower levels of racing.

Of course at the higher levels where the press may publish photos, its got to be the right clothing, however I actually found that at Cat 1/elite, if the sponsorhip deal wasn't sorted out it would be the rider who would choose to race in plain kit, dropping the team kit like a hot potato (or putting gaffa tape over the sponsors names!)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yup - fourth cats can wear pretty much anything they want. Just make sure you have a helmet and you're good to go.