Anyone here in the Armed Forces?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ooh, good news, finally got a tour to afghan, found out yesterday, am on optag today and should go in a fortnight, bloomin well cant wait.

tis only a short tour as i take up a new post in october daaahn in chatham. any decent riding in kent?
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    All the best, keep you head down :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    ooh, good news, finally got a tour to afghan, found out yesterday, am on optag today and should go in a fortnight, bloomin well cant wait.

tis only a short tour as i take up a new post in october daaahn in chatham. any decent riding in kent?

Keep your head down and stay safe dude.

Plenty of decent routes here in Kent - enjoy Chatham :lol:
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837

On another forum, I'm organizing care packages for boys and girls over there that don't have family back home and so get no post.

If you find someone like that, let me know :)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    I am also in the Royal Engineers, i'll have been in for 10 years in November. I was very late joining up (Just before i was 26). I was glad of having had 9 years in civvy street as an 'adult'.

I reckon i have done less time on tour than most soldiers. I worked with the RAF for 4 years for my first posting and have generally worked in HQ's since. I travelled a lot when working with the Crabs, but they were generally short tours to quite nice places.

I'm in Herford, Germany at the moment. There is a bit of ok riding locally, but i am always riding on my own as there doesn't seem to be that much interest from anyone else here.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • Fully
    Just noticed the posts from LittleAndy & Duffer. I was also in Seeb in 2004 and 2005, i was with the Canberra lot. We also spent a lot of time in the hotels around Muscat, and the Oman Dive Centre. I was there for 3 months in 04 and a month in 05. Some of my happiest times in the forces so far.

Small world!!
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428

Wish you all the best... Riding in Kent is OK. Some good hilly XC stuff on the North Downs above Maidstone & Ashford.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    how long are you in afghan for? i'll be back out there in september i should imagine
  • Anonymous
    will be a short tour for 2.5 - 3 months, ive got to be back for october when i start a new job. cant wait for both
  • Sheepsteeth: Do you know where you're going to be based in AFG yet? I'm out here until end of HERRICK 10. 8)
  • Anonymous
    dont know for definate yet as im not sure if im going out for one job or another, i'll pm when i know more though. 8)
  • EmO_KiD
    EmO_KiD Posts: 788
    im doing my training in the royal marines n hoping to go to 40cdo to go out on herrick 11
  • Anonymous
    good luck, let us know how you get on with those jeans in the marines
  • EmO_KiD
    haha i dont ware skinnies when im at work.
  • Chrissz
    EmO_KiD wrote:
    im doing my training in the royal marines n hoping to go to 40cdo to go out on herrick 11

Enjoy CTC :)
  • EmO_KiD
    i hate the place its like a jail but worse. ive done 16 weeks there so far. i like the training but theplace is driving me mental
  • Anonymous
    well good luck with it, takes a better man than me to do 2 things:

1. wear skinny jeans
    2. tackle royal marine training
  • Emo Kid, you're unlikely to get out on HERRICK 11 with the Marines unless you go with the Viking Group. Marines aren't due back out until HERRICK 14.
  • EmO_KiD
    ok im just going on wht my troop commander told me.
  • Chrissz
    EmO_KiD wrote:
    i hate the place its like a jail but worse. ive done 16 weeks there so far. i like the training but theplace is driving me mental

Concentrate on passing out and worry about what comes after once you have your green lid - get some experience in a unit before you go out to the sandpit :)
  • Thought the Marines had Platoon Commanders? Oh well, you learn something new every day! :D
  • EmO_KiD
    Thought the Marines had Platoon Commanders? Oh well, you learn something new every day! :D

hahaha thats welllll funny platoon commanders.
    yer i just wnat my green lid and i will be a happy man :D
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    I was in the Signals. 84 - 95. South Georgia twice, NI twice, Gulf War (Pt 1) and a Peacekeeping tour, Germany 3 years, 30 Signal Regiment (we had Dick Strawbridge...the bloke with the tache' off scrapheap challenge/how to be green...he was a star as a Squadron OC!). I had a good time, but don't understand the 1000 yard stare "Oh I cannot adjust to civvy street" crowd. Still a fair proportion of muppets in the mob as well. Usually Officers though...
  • Depending on A level results I'm either going uni then taking the officer route or, which i feel is more likely to happen,it's Royal Anglians here I come :D
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Armed Forces day today...... Not serving myself but just wanted to say how much I and
    all the other people I know to a man/woman appreciate all the work and sacrifice your going through in
    the services at the mo.

Think theres a few who come on here who serve so just to say guys and gals, stay
    safe and keep your heads down when the **** starts flying yeah

All the best and keep biking :)
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    SykoBobMonkey if your serious about going officer via uni, there is ways of getting sponserd by the army. Also if your not going officer i would seriously look at a Corps that gives you a trade, ie REME (like me)
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Anonymous
    definately get a trade out of the army if you choose to join up. royal engineers is a good place to look but if you want a mechanical trade, reme is probs the best.

btw, thanks tel, all any of the guys and gals want is to be supported by the folks back home, it makes an enormous difference to us all but especially by the folks out in the sandpit.
  • Fully
    If you're going to go REME (Royal Engineers Made Easy), i would be very choosy about your trade, a lot of REME lads get to Sgt and then don't get any further. You need to get your Artificer in the REME if you want to go far, which is no mean feat. You would stand a better chance as a REME Air Tech than most other trades.

...Or if you're fairly switched on you could get on do a clerk of works course in the RE, but again this is fart from easy. You could always join RE as a Geo Tech, which if your lucky can be a fantastic trade with a lot of scope in civvy street later in life. I'm Geo myself and i can vouch for it as long as you don't mind your first few years being a big bag of Sh1t.

If icould do my time again, i would probably have joined the RAF as some sort of airframes/weapons tech, or even a firefighter, having said that though i am proud to be a squaddie and i know that us pongo's have more cameradarie than the crabs will ever have. And before you ask, yes i have definitley been drinking tonight :?

A Few Pics
  • Ive already applied for sponsership, but if I dont go the officer route I'd rather not join a trade as i am absolutly crap at anything technical
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    Fully wrote:
    If you're going to go REME (Royal Engineers Made Easy), i would be very choosy about your trade, a lot of REME lads get to Sgt and then don't get any further. You need to get your Artificer in the REME if you want to go far, which is no mean feat. You would stand a better chance as a REME Air Tech than most other trades.

:?

I'm on my VM Artificer course at moment (it's ninga), but I have to agree with you, except for Royal Engineers Made Easy.

But seriously, if your joining the army, you need a job that your going to get some sort of useful qualifications, even if its not a technical trade.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)