Brecon Beacons - wheres best to ride?

simply100
simply100 Posts: 78
edited February 2009 in Routes
Hopefully planning to go on a trip to the beacons in the next few months, just wondering wheres best to ride. Also looking for somewhere to stay around there too, any suggestions?

cheers
2007 SPECIALIZED FSR XC COMP - sold
2008 CANNONDALE F6 - CUSTOM BUILD - sold
2008 TREK EX 9.5 - sold
2010 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ ELITE
2011 On One 456
more coming soon!

Comments

• Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    I went to the Brecon Beacons earlier this year. The route we rode was the Black Mountains Killer Loop which is around 40km. However there are many to choose from but i felt the starting point for this loop was ideal. We camped over at The Castle Inn pub which is situated at the start of the Killer Loop. The pub was great and the facilities clean, the camp site backed onto the valley with nice views.

The route itself was very enjoyable. Following the sheep tracks was relaxing and exciting as you go up and down through splashes and jumps. Further on after pushing the bike up a mountain for a few miles you reach a playground of rocky descents and splashes that stretches out over many miles.

Once we finished that section we then well and truly got lost in the middle of the sticks. Fortunately we found a road and decided we would play it safe and ride the 20 odd miles back on the road.

We went with only the description below but i would recommend getting the map also, it can become very confusing when there is a detailed description of a few hundred meters and then nothing for miles.

http://www.mtb-wales.com/modules.php?op ... &pageid=75

I would highly recommend this route.
  • 'The Gap' which starts in Brecon is reputedly the classic trail in the Brecons.

When I went earlier this year I rode around Talybont resevoir and forest. Some nice natural descents and singletrack.

Although I didn't stay, I saw many bunkbarns in the area which are cheap and pretty comfortable.

You may want to head to the Brecon Beacons National Park Centre which is north of Brecon i think as they have info as well.

Hope this helps.
  • nice one guys, just what i was after!
    2007 SPECIALIZED FSR XC COMP - sold
    2008 CANNONDALE F6 - CUSTOM BUILD - sold
    2008 TREK EX 9.5 - sold
    2010 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ ELITE
    2011 On One 456
    more coming soon!
  • fozzy17
    fozzy17 Posts: 339
    the gap, sarn helen, and senni bridge are great

last weekend, not on a mountain bike, but you can see the views

15022009157.jpg
    15022009174.jpg
    15022009167.jpg
    15022009159.jpg
    15022009160.jpg
  • fozzy17
    fozzy17 Posts: 339
    These are the beacons Merthyr end, also there is the taff trail from cardiff to brecon, which is a dedicated cycle route, and a easy ride.

P1060750.jpg
    P1060741.jpg
    P1060747.jpg

The above routed can take you from brecon to usk through trefil quarry, you get on it from asdas on the start of the heads of the vally road (merthyr side) it overlooks brecon mountain railway, you cant beat the views.