EuroSport Tour of California - Arrgggghhh!

TheDrunkMonk
TheDrunkMonk Posts: 181
edited February 2009 in Pro race
I went to watch the higlights of stage 5 of the Tour of California which I'd recorded on Sky+ and have over half an hour of Nordic Skiing!!!

I had some problems with the live coverage earlier in the week as well, where the recorded program abruptly ended.

Is this EuroSport or Sky?

Comments

• lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    It's Eurosport. They are ALWAYS doing it. Happens all throughout the year. If there was an alternative I'd be boycotting!
  • Who even watches Nordic Skiing in this country?!!?! A bunch of wrong 'uns, that's who.

Thank you Eurosport.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I had the same issue. And the day before I found I had an hour and a half of indoor moto-cross riders jumping over logs. So, that's three stages disrupted or missed. It's a real pain in the ar*e. I've ended up just watching the highlights online at Steephill.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    It's live sports, these things happen. If I really don't want to miss something I'll record the program before and after to make sure I catch it.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    The live coverage this past few days has been on Eurosport2 and has been on time as far as I have seen. Maybe you've been recording the wrong channel ???
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Nah - I've been recording on my V+ box (Virgin cable's equivalent of Sky+), so it must have been Eurosport changing their schedules from those published at the start of the week. Unfortunately, when the cycling is last scheduled programme of the day it there isn't a programme after it to record as well in case it overruns.

I very much doubt the cross-country skiing or motocross pish were live though.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    heres alternative but it doesnt work very well on mine

http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    ES did change their schedule a couple of times :x
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Just be thankful it wasn't ITV. They'd have just gone to an ad break 50 metres before the line.
  • ......and just be thankful it's British Eurosport, not International or any other Euro nationality.
    Not shown at all in Scandanavia.
    International had 20 minutes total last night and had the cheek to show "Planet Armstrong", when they were already late.
    Generally, they have half the time allotted to Brit ES, what, with Armstrong back and he being an English speaking success story and all that......
    The rest of Europe apparently could care less. French Eurosport are more interested in showing "The Tour du Haut Var", this weekend.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I have no idea if this service is any good as I have only just found it - with only two stages left as well. Still it does boast live coverage (but is showing adverts outside of race times). Might be worth giving it a go. Oh and it looks like you can drag the centre screen to make the broadcast larger http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Tony666 wrote:
    I have no idea if this service is any good as I have only just found it - with only two stages left as well. Still it does boast live coverage (but is showing adverts outside of race times). Might be worth giving it a go. Oh and it looks like you can drag the centre screen to make the broadcast larger http://tracker.amgentourofcalifornia.com/

I've been using that - it's not bad, I actually watched most of the ITT on it.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    The live covergae has been on time (mostly on British Eurosport 2) and has overrun itself on a couple of days knocking other stuff back/off the schedule - once by at least 90 minutes.

The highlights though can get shuffled late at night if preceding live coverage of other events over run. Do what I do if not watching live and just tape the live coverage. Can fast forward through all the unintersting bits then.
  • Who even watches Nordic Skiing in this country?!!?! A bunch of wrong 'uns, that's who.

Thank you Eurosport.

That depends, is it the women's?
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I quite enjoy the biathlon, the relays are pretty good viewing :?
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Just be thankful it wasn't ITV. They'd have just gone to an ad break 50 metres before the line.

After last nights missed finish.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the american team Astana finishing though. :oops:
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    deal wrote:
    I quite enjoy the biathlon, the relays are pretty good viewing :?

Biathlon is quality!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    +1 for biathlon
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    If you've been watching cycling on eurosport for a few years, you know its always best to start recording from the hour in front and also record the cpl of hours after. They are bloody awful,but that usually works for me.

TBH the american coverage of the race has been awful this year... and last nights missed finish was the cherry!
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Cheer up, lads. On this side of the ocean, we had the Versus coverage. "The voices of cycling" with an American thrown in for good measure. You can just imagine the love-in for you-know-who...

The tour tracker site worked very well for me, though the guy in there with Frankie A. got on my nerves very fast. The day of the prologue, we were treated to an hour and a half of Phil and Paul in the commentary booth with no idea at all anyone could hear them. It was quite funny. In a nutshell, Phil Liggett doesn't know how to operate a computer and couldn't identify a rider to save his life. And Paul seemed exasperated with him. As would I....
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Who even watches Nordic Skiing in this country?!!?! A bunch of wrong 'uns, that's who.

Thank you Eurosport.

What do you expect from French channel?
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    If it came down to a choice between the coverage we got and no coverage at all then give me the former every time. I enjoyed lots of it and easily plugged in the missing bits by taking a look at cyclingnews.com

Ain't technology brilliant!

It will be better next year.

Great to hear Brian Smith too.