Some advice please

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2009 in Workshop
I have a number of things:

First off, the rims and break blocks, what is best to clean the rims? Is white spirit good? I don't know about it touching the tyres though, might make em go messy or something no?

Also the brake blocks, my Aksiums have an external wear indicator, that is black colored, now the black has been worn off mostly in parts due to the break block rubbing on it, as on a long ride as the break blocks have worn down they havent worn where the wear indicator is, as that is like an ident, so basically along the block is the line higher than the rest that is coming into contact with the bottom surfaces of the wear line indicator.

Do I need special break blocks? I am currently using ones that look similar to these in the pic:

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/images/big ... aliper.jpg

The other matter is my gears, my front mech to be precise, I dont know if because it's a 10spd mech on a 9spd bike it's going to cause problems? I took it off to try find a problem, but was unsuccessfull, so I put it back on, cable on and all that, but no matter how hard I try configure it, one gear or another it's always catching it, I know you are not supposed to use big, big, or small, small, what I have been trying to get it to do is run smoothly and not catch the front mech on the big ring, 3rd biggest ring at the back, but even on that I hear it catching the mech as I am pedalling, also on big ring and the smallest ring at the back it is also catching, I've tried everything and I have still been unsuccessfull, I gave up and went to the bike shop, they said I should drop it in tommorow, and it would cost like 8 quid, so It made me determinned to get it ridable as I have a long ride tommorow.... I have got it ridable, all gears work, but I'm still not happy, I want it to be running perfect.

Is 9 speed mech needed? Currently using an Ultegra 10spd.

Thanks
Will.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    1. Water.
    2. File/sand the ridge off the pads.
    3. Either get a 9 speed mech or get some proper shifters with front mech trim rather than your silly Japanese things.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    whyamihere wrote:
    3. Either get a 9 speed mech or get some proper shifters with front mech trim rather than your silly Japanese things.

I keep telling him about that....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The thing to do is set the front mech stops then set the cable tension so you're just clear in big front little rear, hopfully then you should have silent running in the ratios that you use most.

Also water to clean rims and sand down the pads as above.
  • Anonymous
    What is this front mech trim on shifters?

I try using water, and a cloth, but I still see black marks on the rims?

ride_whenever, I'm abit unsure how to go about doing that? So I set it at big front, little rear, then use those weird screw things on the frame to turn and tighten the cable?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    willhub wrote:
    What is this front mech trim on shifters?

When you come back to Manchester I'll show you on my bike that has chorus shifters.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Trim is found on some shifters, basically you have multiple indexing for the front mech so you can fine tune the position, like with an old friction shifter.

OP, yeah, if you're unsure, head to park tools and there are detailed guides with some videos.
  • Anonymous
    Well whatever it is, I wont be getting it cause I cant afford!, I'll stick with my "silly Japanese shifters"
  • I wouldn't worry about it, shimano stuff is fine and works (well not in your case, but my point stands, a bit wobbly now though :oops: )

If you approach it logically then it really isn't too hard, just takes a little time,

set the stops, set the lower with the chain in low front big back, and the high with the chain in big front little back but you don't need to be too careful with the position, just enough that it wont over shift the chain onto the crank

adjust the cable tension so that the higher position just clears the chain when in big front little back, then you should be fine