Uber low gearing - when to use?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
I have recently switched to a single chainring up front (32t) and to ensure that I can still climb have put 14t-34t sprocket on the back. What I have found is that even without a granny ring; none of the hills that I tackle presently require the use of my new 34t rear gear, and even if they did I find myself spinning out at less speed than walking.

So what I guess I am asking is situations offroad where you need the granny ring? as my experience on trails etc is below beginner (I just hit a few forests and a BMX track in my area) and I'm struggling to see the reason for choosing gearing which is likely to be slower than walking up the hill anyway.

All wisdom and advice welcome. Cheers guys.

Comments

• I can't think of any situations where you would need that granny ring :|
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the hills, terrain. Is useful where I ride to keep momentum going at a steady cadence when sat down. I often use the granny ring.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    When it's stupidly slippy. I tend to take mine off in the summer.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Kiblams wrote:
    I'm struggling to see the reason for choosing gearing which is likely to be slower than walking up the hill anyway.

1. Take your bike as it is to the bottom of Jacob's Ladder.
    2. Try riding up it.
    3. Come back and tell us your findings... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • LOL... ^ knows it!
    Turner 5Spot '11
    Spesh Rockhopper '08
    Cube Agree HPA '10
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I go out to ride not walk. I'd rather people are walking past me than getting off and pushing. Riding uphill really slowly is still helping to improve fitness and strength and also makes you get good at picking a good line as you don't have the momentum to carry yourself over obstacles.

There's loads of hills around here that have me in the granny ring, some are very steep (and require consistantly application of power or the fron wheel comes off the ground), others are slippery, rocky or have step ups etc.

Plus as I find when I'm knackered pushing hurts more than riding as I'm using different muscles to push which don't get the same amount of exercise as my riding muscles.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Kiblams
    Cheers for the replies guys, definately something to think about...

So when you guys are using the granny ring are you using your largest rear gear? and if so what are the teeth on those? I have worked out that the ratio of my current set-up gives me 0.95 (32/34)

Need to find some realy steep hills to experiment/practice I think.

P.S. i think I'm getting a reputation for asking stupid questions on here :lol:
  • supersonic
    Sometimes - usually one of the largest 4 rear cogs.
  • If you could climb the likes of Walna, The Calf or Garburn without the use of Granny:Granny, you shouldn't be posting in the beginners section :wink:
  • Kiblams
    If you could climb the likes of Walna, The Calf or Garburn without the use of Granny:Granny, you shouldn't be posting in the beginners section :wink:

I made no such claims... :shock:
  • I said "I can't think of any situations where you would need that granny ring" because I often experience spinning out while in the granny ring and, thus, I don't use it much. is spinning out user error on my part? Or, more attributable to the dry terrain I am riding on and/or crappy tire tread?
  • supersonic
    Hills not steep enough I think.

Spinning out is when you pedal too fast for the gear, not losing traction. The former usually occurs when going downhill, when your pedaling does not provide 100% drive ie you are freewheeling and pedaling simultaneously. The latter could be tyres, your weight distribution, the surface.
  • I prefer riding to walking when the bike is there, so although I agree on possibly slower in granny than walking, I spend up my time in hilly terrain in 22T upfront, with a 11T-32T on the rear, got some stupidly steep short climbs and spinning up them in 1st is about the only way to do them though.

That and I'm too lazy to change to the middle ring all the time :)
  • Not all of us are mountain goats and some of us live in hilly areas. I have a 26/34 on my hybrid 30/32 on my everyday road bike and a 34/28 on my better road bike but wouldn't even consider taking that out on an all day hilly ride.
  • I forgot to say i'm over 100kg too so i don't climb well :D I also only get off when i fall off through exhaustion.
  • supersonic
    Getting off and pushing is for cyclocrossers lol!
  • Kiblams
    OK, I am seeing the point of th lowest gears now. I was just thinking it was very slow but I can understand the reluctance to get out of the saddle and push.

Being 16 and a half stone myself I guess only time and more climbing will tell me if a ratio of 0.95 is enough for me, but so far it has been more than adequate. BRING ON THE HILLLS! :)
  • supersonic
    Remember cadence too - heaving on a harder gear may be more powerful, but it is less efficient.

Smooth spiining at say 80-90rpm can work wonders on long climbs.

Of course you may have to get out of the saddle for obtacles, and extra power can be an advantage here.
  • ive snapped chains while taking my bike uphill in too high a gear, ive snapped 3 chains in just over a year, and i know one of them wouldve been avoidable for sure if id had it on the granny ring
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • 20t ring and 30t rear sprocket FTW! 8)
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • for me i love climbing steep, muddy rocky etc trails this normally means low gears, yes i'd be quicker to walk, but i'm not at all intrested in how fast but if i can make it up.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I am yet to find a need for my granny ring, low range middle ring does the job anywhere really. You might say i've just not been on the right hill but....I dont think this is the case, the small cog is...useless.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Stoo61 wrote:
    You might say i've just not been on the right hill.
    Yep. :wink:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    When I used to race MTB a good few years back - I was a good climber - hardly any body passed me on the climbs - and I needed the granny rings to get round races. Clearly you just havent met the right hills ! :lol:
  • Try switching out the 32T on the front for a bigger ring, if you're running a single chainring up front you really want something around a 36T to 38T up front, gives you better gears for when you really want to pin it downhill then.

I don't really see the point in spinning away up a hill if it's faster to walk/push up, but that's just my opinion i'm pretty sure it's helpful at times, but i'm not much of an xc rider i'd rather just tear round shorter routes and revisit my favourite bits or just spend an entire day at somewhere like Ae just sessioning the last section, don't need many gears for that.
  • supersonic
    If you have a 1000ft steep rocky climb, they are good lol. If you prefer to walk it, well, it just aint biking ;-)
  • Nothing wrong with pushing to the top of a run, i've seen plenty of folk spinning away up the hills and if they do pass me on the way up I usually pass them on the way down.

I understand the challenge of pushing yourself to not stop and just keep pedalling to get up the hill but to me it just isn't fun so I don't really bother.

And to all the folk saying you need the granny ring to get up some of the big hills, the fastest time to ever do the Red Route at Ae Forest is less than two hours (nearer 1.5hrs) and it was done on a single speed ht, and that is one seriously knarly, bumpy and uncomfortable trail.
  • supersonic
    That is just one example though, and an anecdote at that!

Bottom line is if you don't need it, remove it.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    A bit of weight saving - mine was 57g - not any more :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • I find it handy for riding out the bogs. You know the ones were the mud is above your hubs.