Brake rotors

marinman1
marinman1 Posts: 262
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
im looking to go for some bigger brake rotors for my bike, currently i have juicy 3s with 160mm rotors but for the front will be going for 203mm, will i have to buy avid rotors or will any do, hope v2 floating rotors for example. sorry if this is in the wrong place, thinking about it it should probably be in buying advice

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the pad removal pins will catch on the hope rotors.

why do you need 203mm disc?

180(5) will be fine for most uses.

what forks/bike?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Removal Pins ??

You should be able to use any rotor, just check the depth of the pad is enough for the pads to fit on entirely.

If your upgrading might aswell go 203 over 180/185, same price, better peformance and heat ability and a un noticable weight difference.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Turveyd38
    have a look at a Hope floating rotor and have a look at the Avid pads.

Problem

Or just google it.

seems that the Ones have a similar problem and possibly the Oros.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bigger isn't always better. Can be too grabby and lose modulation or fine brake control.

Unless you weigh more than Jo Brand, on an XC bike (ie that Comemncal Combi), just not needed at all.
  • Nick, never heard of that will take your word on it.

Oro's are basically Juicys but higher quality so not surprised they have the same issue.
  • ok, i'm no expert on this stuff so will take your advice and go for 180, and im definately no jo brand, im lucky if i weigh 8 and a half stone. thanks for the help
  • you shouldnt really be running a 200mm+ rotor on qr forks anyway, youll have loads of issues with qr's bending, coming loose. worst case scenario your snapping dropouts and discmounts
    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Resident Grumpy Smurf
  • 8 1/2 stone, then 180's will be fine, amazed 160's aren't for that weight.

Been running 203's for 5 years, I'm 16stone, ride fairly hard and not a coming loose problem as yet, just Reba SL 29's here to currently.