10 speed with TA Cyclotourist Triple Chainset

canamdad
canamdad Posts: 165
edited February 2009 in Workshop
Anyone running a 10 speed set up with above crankset which, of course, was designed way before 10 speed meant what it does today! I would be using Campag as all my other bikes are that way. Specifically, I need to know if the chain could drop in between the chainrings and how well the front mech changes with Ergo levers. Will it work with Escape levers or are the non-Escape levers better? Thanks!

Comments

• two problems with going to 10 sp triple TA Cyclo-touriste.

Yes it will have an urge to try and wedge itself between the rings. You could make the spacers for the rings a little thinner to overcome that.

A bigger problem is the throw of the front derailleur. The TA cranks are dead straight, modern cranks flare outwards slightly. You will find it hard to get a front mech to not hit the cranks.

I've just upgraded our touring tandem from a 7spd triple (TA Cyclotouriste) to a 10spd triple and have changed the cranks to Campag Record (they were at a bargain price and worked out slightly cheaper than some other tandem chainsets). Almost complete. The Mercian frame polished up nicely and the new bits sparkle.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.