Rides near Warminster,Wilts

col83
col83 Posts: 3
edited February 2009 in MTB rides
I've just move to Warminster and dont know where to ride. Can anyone help me out with some off road routes.?
Cheers

Comments

• A few choices for you...

firstly, get the 1:25000 OS maps Westbury and Trowbridge, and Salibury and the Plain.

Longleat forest is the obvious place to start exploring, lots of trails in there . Think there's some technical north shore stuff lurking somewhere in there too.

The Great Ridge south of Warminster near longleat, allows you to climb the ridge and head towards Wilton along old drovers roads, offering great views and classic downland xc riding. There must be some good descents falling away from this ridge too, but again, I haven't explored myself yet, just looked at the potential on maps.

Don't forget Salisbury Plain, right on your doorstep. Theres a 50km path following the perimeter of the Imber Firing Range. Mainly broad chalk track, but if you head to the escarpment between Westbury White Horse and West Lavington, some steep technical riding can be found dropping off the hillside. I believe some new trails have been built in Hill Woods at Erlestoke too....haven't been there for years, but it's been pretty good there, and a lot of the trails between Westbury White Horse and Erelestoke form the route of the Salisbury Plain Challenge enduro event.

Search for SPAMBiking on the web. (Salisbury Plain Area Mountainbiking), they're you're local MTB club.
  • col83
    col83 Posts: 3
    Cheers for that I'll look into them.
    Bought a map today and the great ridge looks like it will be good fun