grizedale

adun1408
adun1408 Posts: 123
edited February 2009 in MTB rides
I am thinking of going over to grizedale tomorrow,can anyone tell if it is anygood i.e is it better than whinlatter and is it worth a 2 1/4 hour drive ?

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Its different to Whinlatter, personally I really like the NFT and would recommend it, others wouldn`t. There is nothing too technical so if you are reasonably fit you`ll be round it in an hour and a half max. I would combine it with some of the excellent natural riding around the area. Have a search for Parkamoor, its easily combined with the trail and the descent down to Satterthwaite is awesome.
  • I think most people would agree that Whinlatter is loads better than the NFT. Whinlatter is more like the 7Stanes trails, well thought out and technical enough to challenge most riders. The NFT is a bit tedious IMO with loads of boardwalk which is dangerously slippery when wet, which is about 364 days of the year here in the Lakes :lol: These things are a matter of taste though so try it yourself.

The rest of Grizedale however is fantastic. I sometimes us the NFT to link up the best bits only.
  • Why waste your time in Grizedale on NFT? There's so much more that's so much better. If you are driving for 2 1/4 hours, presumably each way, you really should get out and have a full day riding, and not waste your journey for a dull bit of tree covered track.
    Frank Yates
  • i prefer NFT to whinlatter.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    i prefer NFT to whinlatter.

same here!

I've only been to WhinL once and wasn't that impressed. But Grizedale is a good blast and if you get there late afternoon go round once in the day light and once in the dark, it's great fun!
  • adun1408
    pdid wrote:
    Have a search for Parkamoor, its easily combined with the trail and the descent down to Satterthwaite is awesome.
    Done a search for parkamoor, this sounds ideal is it easy to follow or will i need to get a map of the area.
  • pdid
    It`s fairly simple but if you don`t know the area take/get a map.
  • adun1408
    Should be able to get a map on the way across tomorrow, thanks a lot.
  • pdid
    adun1408 wrote:
    Should be able to get a map on the way across tomorrow, thanks a lot.

Pretty sure you can get one from the visitors centre, although its in a bit of a state at the moment.
  • If you are going to Grizedale, you will find route descriptions and links to maps of the best (Non NFT bits) HERE

There is loads of top riding in and around Grizedale, you don't need to worry about the NFT
  • adun1408
    Should be able to.Thanks pdid.
  • pdid
    If you are going to Grizedale, you will find route descriptions and links to maps of the best (Non NFT bits) HERE

There is loads of top riding in and around Grizedale, you don't need to worry about the NFT

Cool site, will peruse this weekend. Heard of it before but seems to have had a makeover.
  • adun1408
    Thanks for all the replies, been across today, went round NFT in the morning and then went for an explore in the afternoon. I will certainly be back as there is so much more than i expected. :lol:
  • pdid
    It is a great area for MTB, went up myself this morning but my mate had a mechanical on the final decent. Bent rear mech and managed to shear a cable guide off his frame, so ride was cut short.

We started from Satterthwaite and had intended to do the 1st climb, then up onto Parkamoor then descend back down to SW, wasn`t to be today.