fulcrum ust rims. panaracer ust tyres. do i need sealant????

fatboy88
fatboy88 Posts: 19
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
i :? know this combination will work fine, but i'm wondering if i should use a tyre sealant for puncture protection? this is my first forray into tubeless so any advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Sealant is recommended (stans), after all, if you do puncture, its either fit a new tube (whist everthing is covered in mud possibly) or plug the hole, provided you have the tubeless repeir kit, again i recommend using the panaracer tubeless repair kit, plug it from the outside so no need to remove the tyre.
  • I prefer to use a little bit of sealant. If you don't, you may find the tyres are losing air when left for a few days or a week. With sealant there will be no leakage at all, which gives you the confidence that none is leaking while you are riding also.

The puncture protection is a bonus too. In practice, my experience of tubeless has been virtually puncture free, with negligible inconvenience compared to tubed if the worst comes to the worst and you have to fit a tube to get you home.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd recommend using sealent, I didn't when I first went tubeless and the tyres lost pressure over a couple of weeks. A bit of sealent cured this and so far no punctures either
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • thanx fellas. i'll get some stans, a panaracer repair kit...(any ideas where from?), and think i'll carry a tube just in case too. :wink: