West country way

geordieindevon
geordieindevon Posts: 127
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am planning to complete this route in July as a fundraiser for a cancer charity. I recently got a new bike( Claude Butler Dalesman - very pleased with it!) and have been out doing fairly brisk short rides. I will be using it to commute to work too.
Any advice on the best way to complete the WCW - Padstow - Bristol or the other way around..or does it not matter?
I plan to do it in 4 or 5 days...is this realistic..I am looking to get up to longer rides by May and to do some back to back day rides.
As someone getting back into cycling after many years off, any other advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Comments

• I have riden the whole length piecemeal (as I live in Exeter) and can highly recommend it. The one section which will take longer than you think is when you traverse Exmoor; I rode from Tiverton to Barnstaple it pouring rain (and strong headwind) and it took a whole day (0830 to 1600).

I would think four to five days as reasonable but I would take as long as you want to. So much to see it is a pity to rush!. A good way to work out the distances is from the Sustrans map, their mileage figures are really accurate (if you have not seen a Sustrans map before, they mark the miles in addition to distances between major points). Simply divide the route into, say, 40 to 50 mile sections and you have reasonable days. Allow for a shorter time when you pass through Bampton because you will spend a considerable amount of time in the excellent cafe there.

Several people have documented on this forum, and elsewhere, that their favourite section of the entire national cycle route is this route as it travels between Camelford and Bodmin. It certainly is superb and probably may favourite too.

Martin
  • Thanks Gents...yes i have checked out the websites and they seem very useful. I also managed to get a Sustrans West country way map from ebay, which is actually out of print. It is very clear and will be invaluable in my route planning. Thanks Cider martin for your tips...especially about the Bampton cafe! I will look to do as you have said....40/50 miles but will allow longer time on the Exmoor stretch.

Thanks again.
  • Hi there,

I've done the first half and am about to do the 2nd. I did Bristol to Tiverton in one day. Don't recommend that. Its all very well saying its 90miles, which is do-able, but as the route takes in many non-tarmac tracks, you just work that much harder. By 80 miles I was all-in and had to really grit my teeth to finish. (The next day's short hop to Exeter felt very long due to fatigue). Also, no offence Tiverton locals, but I didn't enjoy Tiverton as a place to stay. I had stones thrown at me and everyone was pissed! Overall, the trip was great with some stuning scenery.

I'm off to do the 2nd half, Tiverton to Padstow this weekend. I've split it into two 60ish mile days. Should be better, I'll let you know.

One final thought. SUSTRANS has a horror of main roads. You can save yourself miles by looking at an OS map and finding a shorter alternative. The alternative is also often less hilly too.

Good Luck

Martyn
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    SUSTRANS has a horror of main roads. You can save yourself miles by looking at an OS map and finding a shorter alternative. The alternative is also often less hilly too.

Well yes, but they are deliberately designed that way. And in any case there's more to life, and cycle touring , than getting from A to B by the shortest route.
  • Sorry. My point was not that there is anything wrong with what SUSTRANS do. I have cycled a number of their routes and the traffic free or reduced aspect can be most welcome (though B roads are not always safer).. My point was that you can reduce these distances if you want or need to.

Ride as far as you like!

Martyn
  • Thought I'd let you know I've now finished the route. Took two days over the last section. Tiverton to Petrockstowe and Petrockstowe to Padstow. I have to agree with the above comment about the section over Exmoor. It was quite hard mentally. 13 miles of uphill was definitely hard work. I would also say that the road was empty! I saw one other cyclist, two walkers and about 10 cars in 13miles. It did leave me to think what would have happened, if I'd had a problem. I took from 8:30 to 5:30 to get to Petrockstowe including stops. I stayed at Aish Villa and can recommend this as a great B&B for cyclists and the local pub was fun too.

Petrockstowe to the end was an enjoyable ride. Lots of rolling countryside and and lovely villages. I didn't stop much and did it in 8hours. It should be nice to finish on the Camel trail but my legs were knackered and level ground seemed like hard work. It was my first time on the upper end of the trail and I have to say it was gorgeous (and uncrowded).

By this time next week I'll be wanting to do it again!

Martyn
  • Very pleased to say I completed the West Country Way last Friday. My brother in law joined me and we started in Bristol on Monday, only simple 15 mile trek as we had friends to stay with nearby. From Tuesday the real cycling started and we rode from East Harptree over the mendips to Taunton (57 miles). Wednesday from Taunton to Barnstaple (70 miles), Thursday from Barnstaple to Bude (58 miles) and Friday from Bude to Padstow (50 miles)...a fantastic trip and highly recommended...highlights Exmoor, Bodmin Moor and the excellent Tarka Trail....lowpoints 3 punctures, one of which was 1 mile from Padstow :( ....apart from Tuesday the weather was great and the route was well marked out with excellent signage from Sustrans.

In the process we raised over £1000 for the Royal Marsden Cancer Campaign.

I would highly recommend this route to anyone who wants a decent challenge and likes hills! Over 240 miles of excellent scenery and good cycling.