Free 6 week service check - CLEAN???

xand_xand
xand_xand Posts: 271
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
MY MTB is due its first FREE 6 week service check tomorrow at our beloved Halfords - LOL.

Anyway i was thinking if i go out tonight in the woods and get plastered in the muddy sticky stuff....Will i get a free clean tomorrow with my service...bit cheeky i know but hey worth a try perhaps??

Any experiences anyone?
MY CUBE
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12785430

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!

Comments

• If they are anything like Evans then I swear they won't even touch your bike. I thought they might have at least cleaned the chain (the rest of the bike was in an ok state at least). I think those free services are to make sure everything is road/trail worthy still. I wouldn't expect them to clean it.
  • No, they may not do the service, they almost certainly won't do the clean for you. Just give it a bit of a blast with a hose!
  • Nope, at my lbs they charge for working on excessively dirty bikes, as it is generally just unpleasant.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yep, I would probably turn it away.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    They'd probably be more likely to give a more thorough service to a bike that looks like it's been looked after, I'd make sure it was spotless (more to do with my OCD probably).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Bike techs and car mechanics etc will take more care when servicing stuff that has been looked after.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    xand_xand wrote:
    Will i get a free clean tomorrow with my service...
    Most bikes shops specify that the bike is clean(ish) before they will accept it but I 'spose it's worth a try. Halfords will most likely clean it with a jet washer and sulphuric acid.
  • thanks for the replies chaps....i must admit i do have actually have a bit of ocd when it comes to my mtb anyway...as it is its spotless like the day i bought it 6 weeks ago (and honestly i use it 3 times a week religiously).....

Guess everyone else is the same on here yes???? Massive thorough clean after each use..

let you now how the service goes...not that your gonna be interested or anything..but hey ho!
    MY CUBE

Cube ltd race 2011.....enjoying the grt outdoors no matter the weather (except snow I just can't move in the snow)!
  • robmanic1
    xand_xand wrote:
    thanks for the replies chaps....i must admit i do have actually have a bit of ocd when it comes to my mtb anyway...as it is its spotless like the day i bought it 6 weeks ago (and honestly i use it 3 times a week religiously).....

Guess everyone else is the same on here yes???? Massive thorough clean after each use..

let you now how the service goes...not that your gonna be interested or anything..but hey ho!

Always interested in the daily life of a fellow yid :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• hee hee - white blood here mate !

Looking 4ward to the game tonight away at doneskkk something or other .... hope to see some of the future kids playing tonight!
    MY CUBE

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We used to get people bringing bikes in with a half a farm dangling off the frame - including most the contents of a cows back end. Noooooooo!

And people bringing in bikes for the 6 week check after 51 weeks and 6 days.
  • robmanic1
    xand_xand wrote:
    hee hee - white blood here mate !

Looking 4ward to the game tonight away at doneskkk something or other .... hope to see some of the future kids playing tonight!

TBH I never look forward to watching the game, I always end up disappointed/ frustrated in equal measure, shouting at the telly and falling out with the mrs when she says "calm down, it's only a game" :evil: '
    I shall be at the KC Stadium Monday evening, however for Hull v Spurs, being frustrated/ disappointed and shouting at the players, still at least the mrs won't be there!

Sorry for the hijack BTW

• llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    xand_xand wrote:
    thanks for the replies chaps....i must admit i do have actually have a bit of ocd when it comes to my mtb anyway...as it is its spotless like the day i bought it 6 weeks ago (and honestly i use it 3 times a week religiously).....

Always interested in the daily life of a fellow yid :wink:

+1 here lads :D

Don't care what happens tonight, but Hull on Monday is a big game!
  • Vivid
    Vivid Posts: 267
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    xand_xand wrote:

TBH I never look forward to watching the game, I always end up disappointed/ frustrated in equal measure, shouting at the telly and falling out with the mrs when she says "calm down, it's only a game" :evil: '
    I shall be at the KC Stadium Monday evening, however for Hull v Spurs, being frustrated/ disappointed and shouting at the players, still at least the mrs won't be there!

Sorry for the hijack BTW

I would turn it away.

It is the owners responsibility to clean the bike.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you're going to the dentist, you brush your teeth first, right?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • robmanic1
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    xand_xand wrote:

Sorry for the hijack BTW
    :evil: :evil: :evil:

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    funnily enough, my Carrera Fury will be due it's service soon, and they wil be given a list of jobs to sort including trueing the rear wheel that wasn't straight when it left the shop and cheaning and realigning the brakes to make sure they don't rub...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • i would either charge the customer for it to be cleaned or just turn it away.

it frustrates me when a bike has been in the workshop before and has had to have a chain and cassette etc changed due to people not cleaning and maintaining their bike and leaving it in a really bad state, then they come in a few months later complaining that their bike has problems again although they were told the reasons why their components didn`t function properly in the beginning and were told to keep the bike clean and maintained.
    2007 SPECIALIZED FSR XC COMP - sold
    2008 CANNONDALE F6 - CUSTOM BUILD - sold
    2008 TREK EX 9.5 - sold
    2010 SPECIALIZED ALLEZ ELITE
    2011 On One 456
    more coming soon!
  • Just to update all -
    bike serviced....very pleased asked them to make adjustments to front braking system and low gear changes...al done as requested......

Bike cleaned......................by myself prior to the service LOL.

COYS
    MY CUBE