Bikes on roof

Mightymart
Mightymart Posts: 25
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
I purchased the cheapest of the cheap bike roof rack, I already had the monte blanc roof bars so it was just a matter of attaching the bike rack to the bars ! Even though I got there in the end with regards to fitting I believe I got what I paid for !, I take it that more expensive racks would accomdate large frame bikes better ? , I think the rack may be ok for a couple of years or so but are the more expensive roof racks really worth the money if your only useing it a couple of times a month ? less in the winter lol.
Below is a picture of my set up , Is it the right way ? I plan to add a fourth when my son needs a new/bigger bike so what is the set up for that ?
Finally what is the speed limit for bikes on the roof ?
Bikeroofrack1.jpg
Bikeroofrack.jpg
GT idrive 5 4.0, GT Aggressor(s) XC3 (x2), GT Karakoram 1991

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Should be ok, looks frightening at first but you soon forget they're on (much to my dismay when I tried to get under a barrier on a French toll road :oops:).

Just make sure you tighten everything up real well and check every so often (otherwise you may have a "bike hanging down the side of your car whilst other motorists flash an parp you like crazy to draw your attention to it moment" :oops: :oops: ).

On reflection, maybe a rear mounted carrier may be better........

Could be wrong, but I don't think they affect your speed limit.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    I don't think it matters which way round the bikes go. I'd be more worried about weight, specifically the weight one carrier holds, the weight your bars will hold and the weight the roof of your car can hold. You should be able to find all in the relevent manuals.

I have Thule 591's and definately wouldn't trust my meta to a cheap rack, but as long as they feel solid they should be fine.

Speed wise the Thule's recommend a maximum of 130kmh or 80 mph.
  • Robmanic1 wrote:

On reflection, maybe a rear mounted carrier may be better.........

Because I wanted to carry 4 I didnt think a rear carrier was an option ? Plus after borrowing a friends rack I thought the roof option was better.
  • Your set up is fine. The only way your can fit four bikes on your roof is handle bar - saddle - handle bar - saddle. Weight restriction is usually about 100kg, average bike is 15kg then the weight of the carriers - spec etc are on the Mont Blanc website - http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/
    As for speed limits I think it is national speed limit - just watch out for car parks. I know someone how went into a multistory with his roofbox on - ripped it right off!!
  • We took the bikes on a 45 minute run to the coast on the roof did 60ish on the motorway, took it easy round corner/bends & all went well.
    The only thing is my wifes saracen has the biggest frame & tires in the world which makes it a bit awkward to attach to the rack, But nothing a bit of threaded rod cant sort out instead of the normal bolt lol.
    I must say the bikes on the roof set up has tp be the best apart from in a van !!! I am also thinking about maybe going for 2 Barracuda racks for mine & the missus bikes for peace of mind & keep 2 of the cheapys for the kids bikes.
    Thanks for the advice about the heights limits but Im normally on the ball about that sort of thing because Im a HGV driver :wink:
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Mont blanc recommend 75mph.I have Barracuda bike racks(since 2004) and i've been to Scotland/Cornwall/Devon/Lakes etc with the bikes on.I don't hang about and generally cruise around 85-95mph.No problems....rock solid.
    Fuel consumption is frightening though.
    Without racks/bikes 50-55mpg@80mph(long haul) 8)
    with racks/bikes 32-37mpg@80mph(long Haul) :shock:
    I have always left the roof bars/racks on and thought nothing of it,now however i take them off between rides as my mpg drops by about 10mpg even without the bikes,it all adds up as i do 18K a year
  • I see the barracuda racks are quick attachment, do you take them off while your riding or leave them on like my cheapys :oops: Only if you have 3 or 4 on the roof your talking £200.00 left on the roof ready for the taking ! Unless you can get locks of some sort but cant seem to find if they do them for the Barracudas
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    It's tricky getting four bikes on. You have to alternate the way each of them faces so that the handlebars don't clash. A small set of steps is also helpful because you have to lie over part of the roof to reach the inner bikes. Remember that you may even have to turn the bike holder so that the lock points away from you just to accommodate the uprights. Hard job. Did it once but would now try and fit fourth bike in boot with wheels off. Best of luck!
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    If you're spending £60-£70 a carier I recommend the Thule Proride 591, you can get two for£68.99 each from here: http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/product ... tno=591000

The Thule 591 comes with a lock & 2 keys, you can lock the bike mounting clamp and the carrier to the car.

Very highly recommended bit of kit, excellent customer service too. I managed to snap a tyre tray, I rang Thule, I was sent a replacement FOC, they didn't even ask how old the carrier was 8)
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    another for the 591
    img0069qq4.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sniper68
    mightymart wrote:
    I see the barracuda racks are quick attachment, do you take them off while your riding or leave them on like my cheapys :oops: Only if you have 3 or 4 on the roof your talking £200.00 left on the roof ready for the taking ! Unless you can get locks of some sort but cant seem to find if they do them for the Barracudas
    Standard roof bar barrel locks fit the barracudas.£9.99 for 4.You can get them from here:
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bike-carriers/
    I got mine from Towsure,they fit roof bars/roof racks/roof boxs etc.
  • I bought a couple of cheap own brand bike racks from Halfords about five years ago. I probably use them about three or four times a year and have done so with various bikes without difficulty. I guess if I were using them very frequently I would consider something more expensive, but they seem to do the job well enough.

I think that these roof mounted racks are the best way to transport bikes, but don't be surprised if your fuel consumption worsens, as they are not very aerodynamic! I always have a couple of good D locks in the boot of the car which I use to secure the bikes if I nip into a service area.
  • Personally a fan of thule roof bars and their 591 Proride carriers. Use two or three regularly and the ease of use is brilliant. They lock to the roof bars, the roof bars lock to the car. Enough to deter an opportunist. I'm with Ibbo though when looking at fuel consumption. I try to keep it below 65 with bikes on purely to improve fuel consumption (assuming I'm not in a hurry).
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • The only thing is that my mrs bike has a large frame (Longways) & is more than 80mm, so I dont think the thule will be ok becuase it attaches to the frame the other way round to the Barracuda, but I will investigate before I make my final purchase.
    ibbo68 , how/where do the locks attach to the Barracuda carrier ? pics maybe ?
  • sniper68
    AR3011_200.jpg
    Get then from here:
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/general-accessories/
    If you buy your rack/carrier from them they'll supply as many locks as you need for £10 8) That way its "one key fits all"
    They also sell them at Halfords etc.They're a standard for most roof carrying stuff 8)
    You just remove the fastener on the frame clamp tightener these slot straight in