2005 Scott Genius 20 - Rear Suspension Question

Justify
Justify Posts: 12
edited February 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

First post... let's hear it for the newbie ;)

I've recently purchased a used 2005 Scott Genius 20. I'm really happy with the bike, and as a result, I'd like to start learning more about doing the maintenance on it myself.

This leads me to the rear suspension setup.

If I look at the air chambers, there is a calibration chart, with correct PSI to weight values.

My problem/questions is this:

1) I weigh 100Kg, the shock chart only goes up to 95Kg. Does this mean that I'm technically damaging the bike by being over the spec weight, or can one pressurise it further?

2) Does the "rider weight" as specified in the shock manual refer to rider only weight, rider with accessories (camelbak etc) or rider and all other components that aren't factory standard combined weight?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 maybe maybe not talk to scott.
    2 all up weight. (all kit,water etc).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    1 maybe maybe not talk to scott.
    2 all up weight. (all kit,water etc).

Hi nicklouse,

Yes, my first move was to consult the manual. After not finding the required information, I emailed Scott, but haven't received a reply.

Hence my post here ;)
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    Lose 5kg! :lol:

Actually, interested in the answer as I'm the wrong side of 90kg and also riding a Genius
  • Tony you bastard! :lol:

But seriously though, 95Kg is the lightest I've weighed as an adult (weigh 97Kg at the moment + 3kg for kit), when I was top fit. I'm 6ft5in tall (196cm), and I'd be really dissapointed if full enjoyment/comitment to the sport was affected as a result of my build :?

On a technical side, I haven't (that I'm aware of) bottomed any of my shocks out yet. That said, I've only been doing mild XC riding.

Eventually I'd like to progress to achieving more technical/higher jumps, but don't want to attempt that if it's going to break my equipment (or me).
  • TonyWard
    I suspect you'll be fine for normal XC/ Trail. Wouldn't try anything too big in terms of jumps though!
  • Tony> makes sense.... what would you consider too big/high a jump? I guess it's all relative. For me, at the moment, the biggest I go for my skill level is about a 2-3ft jump.
  • I ride a 2007 Genius MC 30 and am about the same weight as you. I have been running my rear shock at slightly higher values than shown on the scale. I basically just increased the pressure on a scale according to that on the side of the shock (roughly). I have had no problems and have encountered plenty of drops, jumps etc around the Yorkshire Dales and Dalby. I am reliably informed by Kudu Bikes in Hawes that there is an extended scale on the Scott web site but I haven't found it.
    Scott Genius MC30
    Orange Crush
    Giant SCR1.5
    A worn out Cannondale Super V500 for the shops
  • mrdales> Very informative, thank you!

I'll try and get hold of that extended scale, but in the meantime, I'll increase the pressure, using an assumed guesstimate, using the ratios on the chamber.

Tx again to everyone for their input.
  • TonyWard
    There are others much better qualified than me to opine on jumping - not something I really seek out. A lot depends on the landing angle I think - landing to flat ground much harder than a downslope.

Most organised XC/ Trail rides I have been on have not had anything more than 1-2 ft. Not been to any of the trail centres though.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The shock will have a maximum rated pressure - rather than weight. The pressure required depends on the sag you want.
  • ive had 13 bar in mine for 4 years as i'm 100kg, done some serious downhilling and cross country (just not fast...lol) no problems yet apart from the shop not setting up negative pressure wrong when i bought it. i ran it like that for years. got right pressure in now it's ok
    Cotic Soul rider.