Altura trail

Rich25
Rich25 Posts: 231
edited March 2009 in Routes
Does anyone know if this is fully open at the moment? Im off up there in a fortnight and want to make sure

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    I'm up there this week end, also l :shock: king for info.
    will post back next week
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Should be, the second loop was due to open when I was up there a while ago (has now opened) and the current mild weather means all the snow should be gone... 'tis a very slippy place tho' so be prepared. :lol:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Rich25
    excellent cheers! the forestry website says much of it is closed but not sure how upto date this is. Hope its open for you mate and don't forget to post!
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Top half of the south loop is still closed (well was last weekend). Theres sill plenty to go at though. TBH its not a massive amount of trail and you`ve still got the jumpy lower descent.
  • Rich25
    This is being covered on bbc one as I type. Looks really good.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Just watched countryfile on BBC 1 about the Altura trail

To quote from the website:
    "Adam Henson heads to Whinlatter Forest in the Lake District to tackle England’s highest and only purpose-built mountain bike trail."

I thought Deadwater fell was higher. But of course, east of the pennines there's nothing between York and Scotland, is there? :roll:
  • Hi Rich 25, I've just been there today, it's business as usual exept for the top part of the south loop that is closed, but you can ride up and down the second part from the mini wooden north shore
  • Whytepeak
    Confirmed, was there today too, north loop is fully open, and very good, but the top of the south loop is still closed because of frost damage - still worth going.
    However they didn't know when it would all be open :x
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Rich25
    Cheers for that fellas
  • Went last weekend (15th Feb) and all was open apart from the top half of the South Loop which was closed due to ice. I'd imagine the whole thing will be open now.

Enjoy!

Karl.
  • Shame that some of you are missing out on the top bit of the South- hell of a view up there!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Get to the top of the South loop and turn right, head up to the top of Grisdale Pike and the view is even better. Ride down the trail along the Wall back in to Whinlatter and the descent is even better too!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Get to the top of the South loop and turn right, head up to the top of Grisdale Pike and the view is even better. Ride down the trail along the Wall back in to Whinlatter and the descent is even better too!
    Erm,you can't ride to the top of Grisdale Pike,its a footpath,as is the path by the wall.
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    when i last went the top half was shut but its still worth it for the descent, but with all of this mild weather and just rain it should be open soon. Its slippy there when its wet though so watch out, also none of the north shore has been weatherproofed so that is lethal in the wet

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Whytepeak
    The north shore is fairly rough - big gaps.
    Do you know that it will be chicken wired, dosen't l :shock: k like it to me.