Smashed My Front Wheel!

slickcommuter
slickcommuter Posts: 4
edited February 2009 in The workshop
Help ... Got hit by a car and my front wheel written off, tho rest of machine seems fine. It's a Ridgeback R25 with 700 x 25 Alex xd-lite disc specific wheels (Shimano hubs and brakes)

Where ... can I get a replacement - or a disc specific 700 x 25 front wheel off the shelf - all the right sized wheels are v-brake rather than disc and all the disc specific are MTB.

Can someone point the way to something not too outrageously expensive - and off-the-shelf?

I'm desperate to get back out on the road!!!

Comments

• there aren't many of these wheels around off the shlef, two come to mind, mavic speedcity, disc hubs, i think they have a braking surface on the rims, downside is they are around £110 for a front wheel and about £230? for a pair i think (no one quote me on it) :D

i think shimano also make a wheel for discs on a road bike however i know no details sorry!

another thing you could do is go to SJS cycles, they build wheels at £35 for labour and spokes then you just buy a hub and rim from them and they build it, not sure what hub spacing you have, 135mm (mtb) 130mm (road) its worth a ring maybe?

hope this helps you
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    If he needs a 130 or 135 front it's hoing to be interesting ;-) (Front hubs are 100mm)

Slicky, go to your nearest decent LBS and have them make you one. It won't cost much to have a wheel built. SJS are good too.
  • Many thanks for the quick responses - I'll give SJS a shout

Interestingly, contacted Ridgeback in case they had any spares for sale, which they haven't! But ... they've offered a generous contribution to the cost of building an identical new wheel if I return to the original dealer! So I'll be checking that out in the morning
  • If he needs a 130 or 135 front it's hoing to be interesting Wink (Front hubs are 100mm)

sorry going crazy, forgot it was a front wheel :oops: [/quote]
    Carbon fibre, it's all nonsense. Drink beer. Ride a steel bike. Don't be a ponce.
  • slick,

sorry to hear about the smash. i also suspect that getting your LBS to build you a wheel will be the best solution but not sure of the price that will come to...

i'd be really interested in how you get on. see sig :wink:
    R25

Ridgeback R25 - 1% bike