Anybody riding the Cape Argus Cycle Tour?

Mefster
Mefster Posts: 54
Off on holiday with the family to South Africa next week. It was only when we were finalising our accommodation in Cape Town that I realised that the Cape Argus Cyle Tour was on whilst we're in the city.

International entries are still open and I've got a visa from the wife so now I'm just trying to sort out hiring a bike or getting a demo bike to use for the event. All a little last minute a rushed really but looks like an amazing ride. I hadn't heard of the event before last week. I've driven a lot of the route before and it's on some of the most beautiful roads.

Is anyone elso out there and riding? Be interested to hear from anyone who's ridden it in the past; any advice or tips would be welcome!

If anyone has any shop or hire contacts in Cape Town I'd be grateful as although I've got a couple of hopefuls, I still need to sort out a bike. Mrs M will let me take my shoes and pedals but I think my bike is pushing it a little!

Should be a little unplanned extra training for the Cheshire Cat!

Comments

• Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Do it, it is an absolutely amazing ride!

For bike hire possibilities, I suggest get hold of Cyclelab (I would guess cyclelab.co.za) - they might not be able to help directly, but probably can put you in touch with someone who can.

Good luck.
  • I've emailed Cyclelab and hopefully they're on the case. I'm hoping I'll be able to source a bike, as I'm thinking there won't be too many people who've stumbled across the event and are wanting to ride it. I guess most local riders who are up for riding that distance will have there own bikes and the same will be true of any overseas cyclists who are making the trip especially.

Sounds like a huge event. Are there a lot of 'leisure' riders- can things get a little slow and crowded if you're unseeded or is everyone going at a reasonable pace? I've done big running events in the past and know you can spend the first couple of miles walking if you're in the thick of it!
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    It's a huge event with 35000 (yes - 35 thousand) entries. The majority will be leasure riders so if you are not seeded you may have to battle your way through them. You may battle to find a bike to hire. I would also post on the following SA cycling forum - www.thehubsa.co.za
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Roastie
    Steve GT wrote:
    It's a huge event with 35000 (yes - 35 thousand) entries. The majority will be leasure riders so if you are not seeded you may have to battle your way through them. You may battle to find a bike to hire. I would also post on the following SA cycling forum - www.thehubsa.co.za
    It is a bit of a pain riding from a low seeding, but inevitably the unseeded riders cover all levels of ability, so you'll undoubtedly find a good group to ride with and soon be past much of the traffic.

If you are battling to find a bike, let me know - I'm racking my brain for other options.

If you are stuck, there are a few MTB rental places in Cape Town - you could always rent one of these and slick it up (I once did the Argus on my MTB - it was good fun).
  • Thanks for the replies guys. I've sorted my entry before the deadline. Still trying to get a bike. It's taken a couple of days to activate my account on thehubsa.co.za, but I've finally managed to post asking for advice. I did post on the chit chat forum but the mods moved it to the wanted section- I'm hoping that won't limit the number of people who'll read it.

Been in touch with a few shops in Cape Town (Cycle Lab, Bowman Cycles, Olympic Cycles) by email and telephone but not heard back yet. Cape Town Bike HIre have no bikes available but have suggested I check closer to the event to see if I they have cancellations.

Mountain Bike option is a possibility but would be a last resort. I'm guessing a hire bike is likely to have cheap heavy suspension forks with no lockout.

Roastiecp; are you from Cape Town? I take it from your posts you've ridden the Argus a few times. If so, are there any other shops or hire places I've missed?

One final option is trying to source a bike in or around Wilderness or Knysna. We'll be there the week before. Would only be a problem getting the bike back to them.

Hopefully get a chance to call a few more numbers early tomorrow.
  • Roastie
    Mefster wrote:
    Roastiecp; are you from Cape Town? I take it from your posts you've ridden the Argus a few times. If so, are there any other shops or hire places I've missed?

Sadly not from CT, but I am a South African.

Unfortunately I don't know CT that well at all, and most of my biking experience down there (apart from the Argus) has mostly been mountain biking in the Tokai forest (which is pretty good if you like that sort of thing).

Good luck with finding a bike!
  • I will be riding the argus tour agian this year and the advice i would give
    is to drink lots when you are cylcing.The heat can really zap your energy
    levels. Also take it easy going into hospital bend as they dont call that for
    nothing.
    You will have the time off your life with the ride and the views.Regarding
    a bike i would ask at regerstrastion on day 1 also leave details so that
    anyone with a spare bike can lend it 2 you. Good luck
  • eishman
    eishman Posts: 1
    I'll be riding my 7th tour this year. I'll be twittering my progress or lack thereof follow at Twitter.com @eishman

For more info http://eishonline.co.za
  • Mefster
    Well, I made it back in one piece and managed to plod around the Argus in 4 hrs 50. Weather was unbelievable. I was a little concerned about the 40 degree c heat in Cape Town the week before, but on the day the wind was incredible. Gradients were irrelevant, it just depended on the direction of the wind. At points you'd working hard in a chain gang and only managing 12km/h. Second half was a little easier but gusting wind always threatened to knock you over.

All in all, a fantastic event, with truly breath-taking scenery. Hoping to make it next year. If it's as windy I might have to buy a heavier bike!

Usual South African hospitality. Great and very beautiful country.
  • dvlrnr
    dvlrnr Posts: 6
    A friend of mine who lives in CT has all but convinced me to make the trip next year and ride the Cape Argus Cycle Tour. It's very much off-season here in Finland in March, but I guess it'll be a good incentive to stay in shape through the winter.

I probably won't be taking my own bike along, so I'll be looking to hire a bike in CT. Mefster, did you end up bringing your own wheels or did you manage to source a bike in SA? Does anyone have any tips and/or links besides those already mentioned in this thread?

//Thomas
  • Mefster
    Hi Thomas.

Sorry for the delay in the response. Only just spotted your post.

If you're planning on hiring a bike then i'd suggest contacting a hire shop now to get something lined up. I contacted several shops in CT and the Winelands and Garden Route but had no joy. There are bikes for hire, some quite high spec., but everything was booked up.

In hindsite I was glad I took by own bike. It's good to know that the bike you'll be riding for that distance is comfortable and fits you well. It also forced me to buy a bike bag which has come in handy for further trips.

If you need any contacts for hire shops, PM me, I'm sure I've got a list somewhere.
  • So, registration for next year's event has opened and I'm about to enter my details. I guess now's the time to really start looking for a bike.

So, if anyone has any good tips on which bike shops have decent rentals, I'm all ears. I should also be able to ask my friend i CT to do some scouting, but she's not an active cyclist and might not know what to look for.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I used Cape Town Bike hire when I was down on holiday during Easter.

Very good selection of bikes and prices were OK (I'd guess they MIGHT be increased for the Argus but then......maybe not).

Bike was in good nick and decent quality.

Pedals were toe clip/strap type so you might need to take your own but other than that they provided everything.
  • Thanks, I'll fire off an e-mail right away. I'd probably be bringing my own shoes and pedals either way, maybe even my saddle.