Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

Hands up who keeps their old bike... and why?

timwillstimwills Posts: 25
edited February 2009 in MTB general
Recently upgraded from my old trusty Orange Evo2 to a new Trek Fuel EX08. The move to full-sus has been a revelation, but should I keep my old hardtail? Would you? Have you? Why?

Posts

  • robmanic1robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I "upgraded" from my Cannondale F800SL to a Giant Trance 2 a couple of years back, and had a blast, BUT I have recently re-built the 'dale (with a half-arsed idea to sell it, but deep down inside, knowing I wouldn't and therefore spending far too much on
    upgrades), now freshy adorned with Juicy 7's and all manner of carbon lovelies, I can't get enough of hard-tail action and, as a consequence, am contemplating flogging the Trance.

    Keep the hard-tail, 'cos once the novelty has worn off...........
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Yes. Because it still works very well.
  • AndyBikeAndyBike Posts: 126
    Because its like having two girlfriends, when youre bored of riding one you can get the other out of the shed.
  • turbodogturbodog Posts: 246
    *hand up* Hello My name is Turbodog, I like keeping old bikes... no not really.

    I have brought a Pitch Pro recently but I am keeping my hardtail so I can keep on developing my technical skills. I prob would use Pitch Pro for black route and freeride.
  • robmanic1robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    AndyBike wrote:
    Because its like having two girlfriends, when youre bored of riding one you can get the other out of the shed.

    Excellent shout!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Because its like having two girlfriends

    Funny you should say that.... part of the problem is my wife. She wants the "old one" out of the house. Apparently she can see in to the future and I'm "never going to use it again" :roll:

    I'm understandably attached to it...
  • .blitz.blitz Posts: 6,197
    timwills wrote:
    ...should I keep my old hardtail?
    Providing it's rideable, never sell your old bike. It will always come in handy.
  • I've part ex'd one, but only because it was really bought as a 'getting back into it' bike which i'd never really ride again. But yeah, currently got a Marin FS circa 1999 and the gf's 2006 Kona Kula (her first mtb bless) hanging up in the attic.

    Cant seem to bring myself to get rid of the Marin and the gf wants to cherish the memory of the day I introduced her to MTBing despite now having a Meta.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

    Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

    "BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • turbodogturbodog Posts: 246
    AndyBike wrote:
    Because its like having two girlfriends, when youre bored of riding one you can get the other out of the shed.

    the downside of having 2 girlfriends is the cost of maintaining them.
  • Many bikes have come and gone, but the original (the '95 Explosif) still remains. And it's still the finest bike I've ever ridden. When it falls apart in a pile of rust, then I'll consider a different bike
  • OwenBOwenB Posts: 606
    I'm in the process of selling my bike to pay for the new one, I'd rather be able to keep it so that I can use the hardtail sometimes when that'd be enough for the riding that I'm doing, but my Mrs has told me I'm free to use hers (which is better than mine anyway) whenever I want to, so it's probably the best of both worlds for me.
  • Simply tell her the 2nd hand market is flooded with bikes atm, and that you'll get much more for it in the future... It is certainly worthwhile having multiple bikes, I've got 5 atm.
  • BikerbaboonBikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    AndyBike wrote:
    Because its like having two girlfriends, when youre bored of riding one you can get the other out of the shed.

    Excellent shout!

    if the girl friends are in the shed where do you keep your bikes ? :?
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
    456
  • stumpyjonstumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've still got my original hardtail, didn't want to lose it when I bought the stumpy. Then I built the Kinesis up and then I converted the original 1996 hardtail into a commuter bike.

    Can I have a road bike now as well please?

    I'll stop hanging onto bikes whent he garage is full (also have plans for a garage extension :wink: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

    I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • OwenBOwenB Posts: 606
    stumpyjon wrote:
    I've still got my original hardtail, didn't want to lose it when I bought the stumpy. Then I built the Kinesis up and then I converted the original 1996 hardtail into a commuter bike.

    Can I have a road bike now as well please?

    I'll stop hanging onto bikes whent he garage is full (also have plans for a garage extension :wink: ).

    See I'd keep filling up the garage if I could, but our roof leaks at the back end and I don't want to have to push things further towards the leaky bit.
    I'll get it fixed soon enough then I guess I can keep buying as much as I like so it doesn't look empty! Though I did promise the eldest lad he can have some space for his skalextrix set! :lol:
  • timwills wrote:
    Because its like having two girlfriends

    Funny you should say that.... part of the problem is my wife. She wants the "old one" out of the house. Apparently she can see in to the future and I'm "never going to use it again" :roll:

    I'm understandably attached to it...

    We talking old bike or old girlfriend here :?
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • turbodogturbodog Posts: 246

    if the girl friends are in the shed where do you keep your bikes ? :?

    LOL please don't answer this. Whatever you do is your own business ;-)
  • bells0bells0 Posts: 414
    Still umming and arring about the sale of the Scott in my sig!

    A week ago i was adamant that i would keep it, try get some cheap lighter wheels for it and use it for the days when i do xc with a bit of flat/road miles.

    Then had a change of heart thinking i havent used it since i got the Trek in Dec, hence it going back up for sale.

    Now this has got me thinking again - do i keep as a back up + to hone my skills..................

    :?
  • edhornbyedhornby Posts: 1,780
    how about converting it into a singlespeed ?? put some slightly slimmer tyres, maybe even a rigid fork.... you'd then have a hard trail sprinting machine and you have your full sus machine for the summer so that it doesn't get as trashed when the weather aint so great...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • robmanic1robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    edhornby wrote:
    how about converting it into a singlespeed ?? put some slightly slimmer tyres, maybe even a rigid fork.... you'd then have a hard trail sprinting machine and you have your full sus machine for the summer so that it doesn't get as trashed when the weather aint so great...

    "You must unlearn what you have learned. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • v23v23 Posts: 217
    Yeah, I've kept my Bontrager since getting the Heckler. I've got plans to get some newer forks for the bonty, convert to disk, though I don't know about this, and possibly single speed it. It makes a nice bike for bobbing to the shops anyway.
  • bells0 wrote:
    Still umming and arring about the sale of the Scott in my sig!
    A week ago i was adamant that i would keep it, try get some cheap lighter wheels for it and use it for the days when i do xc with a bit of flat/road miles.
    Then had a change of heart thinking i havent used it since i got the Trek in Dec, hence it going back up for sale.
    Now this has got me thinking again - do i keep as a back up + to hone my skills..................
    :?

    my point exactly, same new bike too :)
    i keep swinging from keeping it to selling it and back....
    i think the consensus is clearly keeping it, for many reasons (and besides I'll then have another bike to buy bits for as I slowly upgrade it - which will make the wife happy.... erm)
  • jojo90jojo90 Posts: 178
    Facing a similar dilema myself. Curently have only 4 bikes and the wife probably won't let me have another for a bit.... boooooo

    Anyhow one is a Carrera Kraken upgraded into quite a nice stead. Recently put some carbon forks on her and loved it. Next step is singlespeed except its turning into building a blinged out on one singlespeed with perhaps a nexus hub to come... its got the same tyres so perhaps the wife won't notice :)

    Then theres my cross bike, going to swap the bits over to a carbon road frame.

    So, um, do something with it! I recommend carbon forks as a starter...
Sign In or Register to comment.