Pyrenean routes

coloradoblue
coloradoblue Posts: 3
edited March 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

New to the forum and was interested in hearing if anyone has any advice on riding the Cols of the Pyrenees. Four of us are heading down there in June, basing ourselves in Argeles Gazost. Would be particularly interested in recommended routes that people might have.

Thanks in advance.

CB

Comments

• Kenjaja1
    Kenjaja1 Posts: 744
    If you intend staying on roads then I can't help much - but if you fancy having at least part of the riding off road then I would have a look at some of the trekking guides. Here are a few possibilities for you to consider:-
    - Through the Spanish Pyrenees: GR11, a Long Distance Footpath (Cicerone Guide)
    - The GR10 Trail: Coast to Coast Through the French Pyrenees (Cicerone Mountain Walking) (Both by Paul Lucia)
    - Trekking in the Pyrenees (Trailblazer) by Douglas Streatfield-James)

Paul Lucia's books give very good directions for trecks but the main advantage of having a look at some of these books is that you can get to some places with stunnung views wich are not accessible on roads.

I hope this helps - but if you are after road riding then hopefully someone else will offer some suggestions. In any event the Pyrenees has an amazing variety of scenery and conditions - so you should be able to find something to your taste. June will be as good a time to go as any - but they are famous (infamous?) for their ability to provide "interesting" weather at any time of year. Just make sure you are prepared with everything from sun screen to warm clothing and protection against summer storms (thunder, hail etc)

Enjoy the trip
  • Check out www.velopeloton.com they have loads of info about routes and cols with videos and photos galore.

It is just beside Argeles so if you have not got accommodation yet this is a great location.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    This might give you an idea of what the weather can be like (if you can read french). A couple of my clubmates did the Bayonne-Luchon last year and this is their report.

http://rctl.ffct.org/reportage/2008/Luc ... ayonne.htm

There will be a randonnée permanente of the FFCT that might interest you. I will post a couple of suggestions when I have sorted them a bit.
    Cheers Jo
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    I've stayed in Argeles for a family holiday,& it's a superb base for doing some top climbs,most of which you don't need any additional transport once you're there.
    Straight south through Luz st savoir for the best side of the Tourmalet.(you can descend the other side to Bagneres de biggore to make a circular ride)
    Turn right at Luz st savoir for Luz ardiden.
    You've got the soulor,leading onto the Aubisque straight out of Argeles.
    Heading east out of Argeles,youve got the Hautacam.
    One of my favourite rides is about 70 miles in total,heading north to Lourdes,then west.I haven't got my map to hand (am at work) but you then go sout for a bit,then through somewhere like Eaux bonnes,& over the Aubisque from its western side.
    Thse are all climbs direct from Argeles,& it really is one of my all time favourite bases for a cycling holiday
    Doubt I'll make it to france this year :cry: but if i was,I'd be heading there (well,either there or Bourg d'oisans)
    so many cols,so little time!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    The cols of the Pyrenees are some of my favourites. I've done them on a Brompton L6 as well. There's a couple of good cheap campsites plus auberges in Laruns west of the Aubisque. A good ride is up the Aubisque heading East toward Argeles and then onto the Souloir dropping down into Argeles. You can either cycle back over or having carried all your gear camp at one of the many good campsites in Argeles. One Col not to dismiss as it is not so high is the Col de Marie-Blanque at 1035m west of Laruns - climb west to East or both. It is a killer as it is straight up13% with no bends so no opportunity for respite as you would normally weave up a col road. I found it relentless straight up, well I thought it was. The Aubisque is nice especially the ride between it and the Soulor. From the Soulor you can also take the D126 down heading north and do a circuit via the D35 back to Laruns which takes in a pretty good descent or turn right part way down to do a little high circuit around the Pic Navaillo and Col de Couraduque back to Aucun and then down to Argeles. Lots of lovely climbing and fast descending. From Argeles you can also go East up the Gorge de Luz to Luz St. Sauveur and the Tourmalet and further east the Col D'Aspin and the Peyresourde all gorgeous climbs. Take some warm gear as well as when I went in June 04 annd 05 it was pretty cold on top and in 04 thick mist which soaked everything. Down in the valley it was warm and sunny. Have a great time planning and once there. How are you getting down there, TGV to Biarritz?
    Alex
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Guys.....many thanks for the advice and tips, all really appreciated. It will be interesting to see if the Pyrenees are like Colorado, I've heard the passes are much steeper in France/Spain, really looking forward to it but finding it difficult to get some really decent climbing in at the moment (living in Worcs at moment and it is flat as a pancake !!)

alex - We are travelling down by car with trailer carrying the bikes.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    I also stayed at Argeles Glazost at the camping du Lac? http://www.campinglac65.fr/
    at Arcizans Avant.. Beautiful site with views over the valley to the Hautacam. If you are camping I would definatly recommend this site. Claen facilities, friendly people, pool, great views and a real nice bar in the hamlet centre. Only thing is theres a fair climb up to it but well worth it.