First Road bike - Brilliant!! But...

cc10
cc10 Posts: 38
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I picked up my first ever road bike yesterday - so exciting! Unable to stall my enthusiasm I headed straight out for 3 laps of the park and loved every second of it.
I have been reading up on all the advice here over the last few weeks before I made my decision, you guys are great with your advice for us newbies!

However I have a small problem... My lower back is now absolutely killing me, it didn't feel too bad on the ride (possibly masked by my unbridled joy!) but has gotten worse and worse over night. What might cause this? I read in a previous post lack of core muscles, however I have come straight from another sport where the core was a main focas so don't think its that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on possible set up or what might put pressure on the lower back as I'm a bit perplexed. I simply can't resist heading out again today as I have the morning off work so I could play with my new toy and I'm hoping the problem might dissapear as everything else is perfect!
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Cheers!!

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited February 2009
    Doesn't sound like the bike fits you. Did you get yourself measured before buying? There again it is only your first outing. You should give it some time and some more riding before you can safely come to any conclusions really.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It is likely to be the bike fit/set up; is the reach too long to the bars? Stem too long, too low? Seat too low, too far back etc. This article may be useful. Or this or this

Whilst core strength is an issue, bike setup is more likely to be the problem. I eliminated my back ache by raising the handlebar height by 2cm and about 1cm closer to the saddle with a different stem. If you have any spacers above the stem they could go below, and the stem may be flipped to provide a higher position. If new, the local bike shop will swap the stem for a better fitting one if necessary, free of charge (well at least my LBS would!) Anyway, work through one of those setup articles methodically and see where it gets you.
  • While it might be that you have good core strength - it might be that you are using it in a slightly different way, or not used to holding it for the same amount of time?

I remember my first ride (and then first long ride) i had all sorts of aches in my shoulders and neck and back that haven't come back since.

Of course the above^ could be true as well.
  • cc10
    hey,
    Yeah I did get measured before I got it (due to no knowledge what so ever thought it would be safest!) could be true about the core - I'm just about to head off now so will think about that and make sure everything is engaged!
    Then I will read through those articles alfablu and perhaps see if some tinkering is required! I have moved my seat forward a little but might head back to the proffesionals if it still seems uncomfortable as I'm not sure the lovely beast would ever be the same again if I got the tools out!!
    Cheers guys:)
  • Doesn't sound like the bike fits you. Did you get yourself measured before buying? There again it is only your first outing. You should give it some time and some more riding before you can safely come to any conclusions really.

Agreed, when you ride a new bike for the first time you body feels different for a while, and thus you get the pains.

Give it time.
  • not clear if you are using cycling shoes with cleats, but if the cleats are set up incorrectly, that could hurt your back (as well as your knees and your muscles ......)
    aspra nella virtu', dolce nel sacrificio
  • padonbike wrote:
    not clear if you are using cycling shoes with cleats, but if the cleats are set up incorrectly, that could hurt your back (as well as your knees and your muscles ......)

Could be. Post back here to tell us if you are still getting those pains.
  • i had a similar problem and i reckon you're stretching a bit too far
    move your seat forward slightly
    you may need to tweak this overa few rides but you'll find it.
    good luck
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    you're stretching a bit too far
    move your seat forward slightly
    if you're too stretched out fix your stem, not your seat.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If the seat's in the right place, leave it alone.

If you're too stretched out, try raising the bars by moving spacers from above to below the stem, and / or if the stem is currently angled downwards, flip it over so it gives a slight upwards angle. You could bring the bars a bit closer by fitting a shorter stem.

Alternatively if you feel too cramped, try the reverse of the above.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Even if everything's set up properly, if your body's not used to it it will let you know!
    Last weekend I was out on the road bike for the first time in over a month and my lower back didn't like it at all, after getting used to much more upright positions on my other bike. Give it time.
  • Mystique
    Mystique Posts: 342
    It may even be as simple as tension - First time out on a roadie etc.

Try to relax your back & shoulders as much as possible when riding, you may find it helps.
  • gandhi
    gandhi Posts: 187
    If I don't keep my hamstrings lose, I get a sore lower back.
  • If the problems persist then look at position, however I suspect it is just your bidy readjusting to the new activity. Give it a few weeks and if you're not seeing big improvements then start to think about position a bit more seriously.
  • and remember to stretch afterwards and warm up slowly,
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Surprising how little things can make a big difference. My son was complaining of very similar symptoms after a couple of rides. Following advice from somewhere on this site (I think, but can't find it), I moved the saddle forward a centimeter and tilted it very slightly forwards. No pain after that.
  • cc10
    ok, so I 've read those articles and shifted the saddle forward and a little and angled it slightly and moved my cleats forward as well as they were definately a bit far back (admittedly worse on one shoe than the other) And this has definately helped.

I would totally think the problem is not being used to cycling but I have been getting out on my friends road bike the last few months whilst organising getting this one and never touched a thing on hers and never had any problems!!!

In fairness I was probably an idiot just to jump on and set off but just couldn't help myself :oops: I will head out for a longer spin before work in the morning and see if this has helped, I think it must because I refuse not to be entirely overjoyed with new bike :D
    (either that or I just have to stretch, bend and toughen up a bit more!)

Cheers for the advice (I never even knew I could use an allen key set a few days ago!)and I'll let you know how it goes
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Be carefull with making lots of changes all at once. It's best to make small changes one at a time so you can figure out what works and what doesn't without changing your position too much from the original setup. Also any changes you do make, make sure you know the original position to undo them if they don't work. You don't want to make things worse!

I was measured in 2003 and my measurements are still good, until I start tinkering with the bike too much. Then it hurts. The IBD will know best if they measured you up. Stick to that as much as possible with small single changes to tweak it between rides.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    it is just your bidy readjusting to the new activity.

My gran moans when I teach her to suck eggs.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • I hated the "suggested" position on my first road bike, and despite the protestations of the staff in the shop, I bought myself an adjustable stem. According to the staff, the angle (on the stem) I preferred was too steep, but It worked for me. Although there was some trade off with handling, it was more comfortable. When I bought my second road bike, I found that all that was necessary was to reverse the stem, and i did not need to use the adjustable stem.

I also do regular stretching, which includes focusing on the lower back, and sit ups which will also help with lower back problems.
    The ultimate cruelty of love's pinions