Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I thoroughly enjoy mine.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DDD - I fully understand. I think it's only my family that have kept it from becoming a full blown, all encompassing addiction! If I was single my house/flat/squat would be full of:

a: Bikes
    b: Computers

It's difficult to explain to someone who doesn't enjoy cycling that you actually look forward to your commute as it allows you to do something you love. I also enjoy playing with computers so having a job in IT support that I can cycle to is almost perfect. To get any better I'd have to find a site that I REALLY liked that had decent cycle facilities.
    This forum combined with the e-mails I get from Wiggle/CRC/Evans take up quite a bit of my "working" day as I look at lots of expensive kit I can't afford or recount another epic story about my ride in that morning and how many other cyclist I scalped.

The worse bit is I think it's all downhill from here........downgrading isn't an option so I'm not looking forward to needing to replace the Giant when the day comes!

So yes, My name is Mark, I'm a cyclist and I have a problem - I can't ride my bike as much as I'd like :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    DDD you've taken the first step by admitting you have a problem, small steps :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • BJU
    DDD - I fully understand. I think it's only my family that have kept it from becoming a full blown, all encompassing addiction! If I was single my house/flat/squat would be full of:

a: Bikes
    b: Computers

That's it then, if she leaves me, then this will be me. (It appears we have a problem Houston). I've got more computers than bikes and I have got lots lof bikes already.

TCS
    I'm busy trying to work out whether my cycling to work habit is getting so expensive and time consuming (when you add in internet research, time on here etc) that it would have been cheaper to buy my own train.

No way, I got on a train on Monday (cos I was feeding my alcohol needs yesterday) and I was scandalised at the fare from Chingers to town. Those trains must cost a cart full of bikes to warrant that price!!
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • In my tiny flat at the moment, we've got the geeky techy and three cyclists (there is a fair bit of overlap!!! but there are only 4 of us!) so we've got 7 bikes i think, some frames, and then for computers, 5 laptops (two of which are macbooks :oops: ), i've got two desktops one of my flatmates has a old powermac which is our fileserver and we've got a mac mini hooked up to the tv!!!
  • In my tiny flat at the moment, we've got the geeky techy and three cyclists (there is a fair bit of overlap!!! but there are only 4 of us!) so we've got 7 bikes i think, some frames, and then for computers, 5 laptops (two of which are macbooks :oops: ), i've got two desktops one of my flatmates has a old powermac which is our fileserver and we've got a mac mini hooked up to the tv!!!

What, between 4 of you, hells teeth I have got a problem

7 computers & 4 bikes (+2 laptops on long term loan)
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Yup,
    I'm an addict. Many worse things to be addicted to! Since I got my Jetstream in late '07 it and its newer brother seem to occupy a larger and larger part of my time and thoughts- not just because of repairs etc...I'm with bassjunkieuk on the whole riding part. That and the inability-due to space- well there is space but I can't have it :)- and budget to buy all those bikes I want. I'll settle for a steel Viner and a Moulton New Series Double Pylon (in my dreams...).
    LiT, 12 mph isn't that bad, even though it's down to my speed (a 35 year old stick thin guy on one of his collapsing bikes...). You'll be speedy again soon enough!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • At home home (I'm a uni student) I've just cleared out my pc cupboard, sent 9 pc towers down to household recycling...
  • cjcp wrote:
    And we still have the warm weather to come <he says hopefully>. That'll mean a couple of laps of the Park on the way home a couple of times a week. :D

It's already warm! I cycled to work and back again (from the pub) (rah wine) in t-shirt, shorts and birkenstocks...
  • StuAff wrote:
    LiT, 12 mph isn't that bad, even though it's down to my speed (a 35 year old stick thin guy on one of his collapsing bikes...). You'll be speedy again soon enough!

:D

Hope so... I'm not enjoying 12mph very much. I keep riding like I'm going faster...
  • cjcp wrote:
    And we still have the warm weather to come <he says hopefully>. That'll mean a couple of laps of the Park on the way home a couple of times a week. :D

It's already warm! I cycled to work and back again (from the pub) (rah wine) in t-shirt, shorts and birkenstocks...

11C on the ride home last night, 12C this evening. It's been cooler than that in July. One layer discarded today, but still too hot. Can't remember how to turn the central heating off. Spring is here...

What, between 4 of you, hells teeth I have got a problem

7 computers & 4 bikes (+2 laptops on long term loan)

Pah, I think I should have re-phrased it originally. The house would be full of MORE computers. At last count I have 5 laptops and 8 desktops..........most are old and reclaimed machines, part of the beauty of being a computer geek and ubuntu enthusiast is that I don't need super hardware to get it running so any old PC is fair game :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    To count them would be admitting I have too many :oops:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

can one just include working computers? i really hope so....
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

If you mean ex work computers that now live at your house then yes :lol:
  • itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Well it seems silly to let them pay someone else to take them when I'll have it for free! I think of it as a job perk!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Well it seems silly to let them pay someone else to take them when I'll have it for free! I think of it as a job perk!

What you mean you're supposed to give them back when you leave...? :D
  • I think I am quickly getting addicted as well, for the first time I am actually gutted to be working from home today as I miss my 32 mile round trip :(

Still will give me a chance to wash my bike later during one of my *cough* breaks.
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles
  • Don Daddy D: after reading your original post I can confirm that you sound like a perfectly normal and healthy person to me!
    :(
    aspra nella virtu', dolce nel sacrificio
  • Hi the names woody, and I'm a cyclist I have a sever problem.

Bikes need bikes where are the bikes.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    I dunno, DDD, seems like the behaviour of a perfectly normal adult human ... just like me, in fact.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • Nodnol
    Nodnol Posts: 168
    I bought a Hardrock Pro last year to get back into biking, six months later I swapped it for an Orange Crush, and now I want to swap my Crush for an Orange Alpine 160. :(
  • mac10
    mac10 Posts: 13
    Phew, not just me with this phycosis then...

I'm Mac10 and i'm a cyclist, I rub myself up with chamois creme twice a day and walk into the office in lycra. I have 2 bikes in the garage and have and two bikes and a new set of wheels on my shopping list this year - all carbon and red as apparently that makes them much faster.. naturally i can't afford them, but I am able to justify it to myself with a little creative thinking. I've not yet got into knife crime or started burgling houses to finance my cycling habit, but it's not too far away....

Where can i get help, is there help available, do I even need help?
  • I'm about to buy my bike as soon as I move in a couple of weeks and I just can't wait. I keep going online to check it's still in stock, spend most of my day on here, I've got a little notebook with all of the things I'm going to buy, where from and how much. I fantasise about my commute, what routes I'll take, how the logistics of everything will work. I have developed cat-like minimizing skills as well as the ability to look like I'm really focused on reading a report when I'm in fact thinking about bikes.
    My name's Will, I'm a wannabe cyclist and I think I have a problem.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I have developed cat-like minimizing skills as well as the ability to look like I'm really focused on reading a report when I'm in fact thinking about bikes..

Same here, now I'm worrying that the Boss button isn't enough. "THEY" say the "THEY" monitor my internet use - Is paranoia part of the problem.

I first started to think I had a problem when I realised the ammount of time I was spending putting together "wishlists" on CRC, Wiggle etc. but then my lovely missus went and bought me everything of the list. I'm now spending hours on CRC etc compulsively looking at stuff I don't want
  • Effoh
    Effoh Posts: 25
    now I'm worrying that the Boss button isn't enough

I have confessed my addiction to my Boss.............

she and my team helped me choose my last bike :D

Resistance is useless...they will be assimilated!

C
  • i knew i had a problem when i decided i was gonna get a new bike for my summer commute & spent all day looking for products that matched make/color etc

that & using google maps to plan new routes home
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Did I read it correctly, someone in this thread suggested that this condition is relatively harmless. I once had a normal home, it had normal stuff in it. Now it's full of bike things, the bikes hang over my car in the garage, this is unheard of, oil might drip onto my lovely car paint work. I've started going down the gym, the wife has even stopped taking the piss out of me when I walk throught the house in lycra, (usually after/before a bicycle ride I might add). Bike shops are like a magnet to me, they seem to shout "upgrade, upgrade, upgrade". This cannot be normal, I know I have a problem, I admit it, everything will be ok, won't it.....one day?