Today's ride (Bretton Hall, High Hoyland, Clayton)

GT Destroyer
GT Destroyer Posts: 1,719
edited February 2009 in MTB rides
Went out today for the first time in ages - Ended up being a 27 miles epic run, I am absolutely knackered,

26.7m
9.5mph Avg speed
34.7 max speed
2hrs 47mins 30secs riding time!!

Here are some pics.

Here you can see the mast at Emley moor. I knew the ride was huge beacuse I normally look at it from the other side!
17022009123.jpg

Bit of trail.
17022009124.jpg

More views.
17022009125.jpg

This was one of the things in the sculpture park.
17022009126.jpg

On closer inspection, you go round a little maze thing and up some metal stairs and there are chairs in there. You can't actually see out though, so I thought that was a bit daft.
17022009127.jpg

This was where I ate lunch - lovely tuna salad with boiled egg
17022009128.jpg

It wasn't amazing, but still enjoyable. Let me know if you want specific directions for the route.
I set off in Dewsbury BTW and there was a fair amount of road riding in there.

Comments

• Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Definitely interested in looking at your route GT. Right on my door step. I live in Clayton West and i dont recognise any of it apart from the Mast of course!
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Alright Rich, here goes.

The route went as follows. I started out by riding from where I live 10 miles to Bretton Hall.

Right at the bottom of the hill all the sculptures are on, I went over a bridge, then rode along a longer bridge over a dam.

I scaled a big hill (had to walk up some of it as there were steps for the ramblers) and went right to the top, up to the other side of the valley so I was looking back on Bretton Hall.

Then I headed to the left up a short climb into a field (I wasn't sure about that as there were no trails) I found myself on Jebb Lane, turned right.. I then went to the end of that road, turned left and headed up to High Hoyland. The road is Litherthorpe road, then it turned into Chruch lane.

Immediately after the Church at High Hoyland, make a left on some bridleway, this cuts across and you come out on Bank End Lane.

From there I headed right the way down through Clayton to the A636.

Can anyone tell me how I draw a coloured line on a map so I can point the correct route?
  • Rich9
    I think I get the jist of where you went. Dont know Bretton Park. That well. Did you go in from the roundabout towards the visitor centre?

I know Jebb Lane well enough as I use it as a rat run to the motorway on a morning! You turn right after the church though to get on the bridleway.....if its the same one?? Usually fully cacked up, winds its way through the trees and drops down to the road?
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • That's a long ride. It was nice weather for it round here today though (for the time of year).

To do the map you could copy the image from google earth then open it in paint or something and then draw it. I'm sure there must be a better way of doing it though lol.
  • Rich9 wrote:
    I think I get the jist of where you went. Dont know Bretton Park. That well. Did you go in from the roundabout towards the visitor centre?

I know Jebb Lane well enough as I use it as a rat run to the motorway on a morning! You turn right after the church though to get on the bridleway.....if its the same one?? Usually fully cacked up, winds its way through the trees and drops down to the road?

Yeah I went in from the roundabout then down to the bottom of the hill, zig-zagging my way there, then up to the top on the other side of the valley.

You are right about the cack too it was well muddy - I knew it must be used by other bikers as there were loads of tyre trail marks in the mud.
  • Rich9
    A few of those tracks are probably mine. Having said that, i've not used it for a bit with it being too muddy to the point if being almost unrideable

Deffer Woods is only five minutes from High Hoyland. Not bad for a blast round. Some pretty mashed up fire roads which make a bit more interesting, and one or two nice pieces of singletrack
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • I am not too far from bretton park, used it quite regular to cut across to High Hoyland and I have never managed to ride the bridleway after the church when its not full of mud.

my usual route passes Deffer wood but signs at the gate mention something about needing a pass/permit to ride so havent bothered, is it worth a de-tour and do i really need a pass/permit ?
  • Rich9
    I havent got a permit. Mark at The Bike Shed in Scissett told me to say i was testign one of their bikes. They have at least a 10 permits. Seen the game keeper loads of times and he has neer bothered me. I just make sure i stay clear on a Saturday morning as there is generally some sort of shooting going on. Sunday afternoons are a no go too. Full of families out for a walk.

I'll probably be up there on Sunday morning at some point
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • Cheers, I will have to have a look next time i am going past