XC Wheelsets and gearing

2»

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Sec, I've got mine here...

Maxxis flyweight tubes are about 80g claimed, 95g on the scales. Combined with the fact UST tyres will weigh a lot more. "Tubeless ready" type tyres are a bit lighter but don't like high pressure as much (mine certainly didn't) and require more sealant.

I wouldn't be using tubeless with them, just wondering. If they do use a normal rim strip the benefit of thin spokes seems a bit wasted when you've lost weight on the spokes, then put it back on right at the edge of the wheel.
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    Yeah, but it's still lighter than a tube...and then some with the rolling resistance. You have to use tubeless or a tube...I use tubeless ready tyres as UST have no benefits that I know of....they're just heavy! I run my tyres around 30psi with about 1/3 pint of sealant. It all works fine.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • toasty
    How so?

Tubed setup:

Evo 2.1" Nobby Nic + Flyweight tube
    495g + 95g = 590g

Tubeless with UST tyes:

UST 2.1" Nobby Nic + Rim strip + Tiny amount of sealant
    710g + 80g + 20g = 810g

1/2 a pound heavier? :/

With non-UST tyres:

UST 2.1" Nobby Nic + Rim strip + More sealant needed with non-UST
    495g + 80g + 40g = 615g
    1/3 pint of sealant.

Woah, per tyre or total? That'll weight about 200g extra then. Replace the 20/40g figure with 200g :P
  • SiLanc
    I don't worry this much about weight. I went with tubeless as it means I don't get punctures when I'm out, particularly when I'm racing. It means I have to carry a spare tube and bandage in case the tyre splits but I'll not go back to tubes now, no way!

I probably don't use 1/3 of a pint...it's a lot less, more like half a standard sized coffee cup.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • toasty
    What tyres do you use out of interest? It's a shame there aren't more tubeless ready about, it only seems to be Spesh, Bontrager and Hutchinsons doing them really :(

Definitely seems to be the way forward. It's interesting trying proper UST after a year or so of 2bliss though, the UST Nevegals I bought for winter feel like motorbike tyres, completely impractical though :)
  • SiLanc
    I use Schwalbe....period. I couldn't get any Black Sharks which was disappointing so I went with some Bontragers Mud-X. I use Nobby Nic's (2.1's) front and rear but may swap back to Fat Albert and Smart Sam combo as they're cheaper and harder wearing and, personally speaking, I think they're better than the more expensive Nic's...being harder they don't squirm around as much as the Nic's on the Rovals.
  • toasty
    I know what you mean about the squirming, I've run Nics + Ralphs converted tubeless before, the Nic on the front was fine. The Ralph I was never happy with, they seem to deform so badly at lower pressures :( In the end I ran over a huge tack down a cheeky trail someone had made, it couldn't seal and the tyre was a bit of a write off.

Might have to try some Alberts + Sams. Usually use Specialized tyres, the 2bliss stuff lets me run standard weight tyres without a rim strip on UST rims. The Captains are a bit crazy in the winter though so I thought I'd have a play around on Nevegal + Blue Grooves for a while, good fun but weigh a ton.
  • toasty
    I know what you mean about the squirming, I've run Nics + Ralphs converted tubeless before, the Nic on the front was fine. The Ralph I was never happy with, they seem to deform so badly at lower pressures :( In the end I ran over a huge tack down a cheeky trail someone had made, it couldn't seal and the tyre was a bit of a write off.

Might have to try some Alberts + Sams. Usually use Specialized tyres, the 2bliss stuff lets me run standard weight tyres without a rim strip on UST rims. The Captains are a bit crazy in the winter though so I thought I'd have a play around on Nevegal + Blue Grooves for a while, good fun but weigh a ton.
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    mattbarnes wrote:
    Just had a set of wheels built for the better weather/summer months. Hope Pro2 hubs, Stans Olympic rims, DT Revolution spokes and alloy nipples - 1480g front and rear. Lighter than both Mavic SLR's and Fulcrum Red Metal Zero's. And £300 cheaper.

Snap! Just waiting for mine to be built! Glad to see the weight is right. Claimed 1450g Vs 1480g actual!

Going to run mine tubed for now, then switch to tubeless after my mate has had his running for a month or so.

Just hope they turn up before R1 of the NPS :?
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"