New to the game!

deano276
deano276 Posts: 39
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

ive just recently got into cycling and what interests me most would be time trialing. however not having a bike to race on and not a great deal of knowledge i'm jumping in at the deep end :D

any help anyone could give me would be great. i have now managed to get a frame so i have my starting point if people know anything about this make of frame let me know ur opinions that would be great

http://fuertebici.com/ its the alu tt frame will need a load more parts before im ready to ride it so if anyone knows some good deals out there for parts that would be great to

Thanks

Dean

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Do you have a road bike to train on? The most important piece of equipment on a bike is the rider, the heaviest component on a bike is the rider and the most un aerodynamic part of a bike is the rider.
    If you don’t have a bike to train on I would prioritise getting one over building a super time trial bike.
    Regarding the components I would join a local club and see what other people are using. I buy my bits and pieces from the local bike shops or online from Ribble Cycles and Wiggle.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    You said
    what interests me most would be time trialing

I'm 100% with LeighB. Why not get into time trialling right now. In TT you are racing against yourself, many riders never get into prizes. Improvements made purely due to equipment are a measure of your financial investment not your performance. Good equipment is great and your 'perfect bike' will give you a boost later when you might plateau out a bit. In the meantime I would recommend doing as many TTs as you can on your road bike and dont be put off by the fast times that others manage to do, or the super bikes they ride.
  • Yup, good advice. Get into TT's before you splash out. After a few 10 (or even 25) mile events, you'll either be keen or fed up, as racing solo against the clock and being passed by more experienced riders without getting on their wheel may not be your idea of competition.

A few evening 10's as a private rider in club events (the organisers should be quite easy about this) will help you decide before you commit to any full-blown open event.
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • thanks for the advice, can you recommend any half decent road bikes i can pick up for good value then so i can get started as my only other bike from the one im building is a crappy old mountain bike that would prob fall apart if i took it on a 10 mile run lol

cheers

Dean
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    deano276 wrote:
    thanks for the advice, can you recommend any half decent road bikes i can pick up for good value then so i can get started as my only other bike from the one im building is a crappy old mountain bike that would prob fall apart if i took it on a 10 mile run lol

cheers

Dean
    What is your budget?
  • Check eBay for cheap road bikes, do your research first though and know what bike you want before you look for it.

And remember to gradually build up your rides and not go all out straight away. And remember diet as well!
  • for a complete bike prob bout £200, as per my original question what is peoples opinion of the fuerte bici frames?