Taking my bike to France

tomlong75
tomlong75 Posts: 7
edited March 2009 in MTB rides
Hi,

I am planning on embarking on a bit of a road trip, taking my bike down to the Alps in the summer. I am aware many of the ski resorts are open for MTBs in the summer, but I was wondering if anyone had some good advice on which resort to make base.

I will be going with several mates (and wives); in the UK we tend to stick to trail centres (7 Staines, Dalby, Coed etc) and would be looking for the same. It is important the resort isn't too hardcore....i.e. looking for a longer, lift assisted Spooky Wood!

Any advice on where to head to would be welcome

Ta :?

Comments

• I have spent 5 winters in morzine and I can highly recomend it as in has everything there you could want and it is an easyish ride to les gets and chatel
  • I'll obviously say Morzine :) However if you're coming for a long trip there are loads of great places to ride. I'd recommend La Thuile, Cervinia and Pila all in the Italian Alps, and only a couple of hours drive from Morzine. There's also great riding in lots of the well known resorts Les Arcs, Alpe D'Huez, Chamonix etc. If you stick to the resorts you'll get lifts and also trail maps, which will be good if you're used to trail centres. One big thing Morzine does have going for it is nightlife, lots of the others can feel a bit quiet in comparison. There's also lots of great little swiss resorts near Morzine that are worth a day trip to.
  • Pie_Man
    Pie_Man Posts: 5
    I stayed in Les Gets last summer and although my son and I had a great time we are planning to stay in Morzine this year due to a livelier night life and a more central location for all the lifts. There is plenty of choice as to the level of riding you do from easy for me to extreme for the boy.
    Hope this helps
    Pie_man