flying laps

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
edited February 2009 in Track
what are the best training tiechniques for a flying lap. either on a 150m track or 250m track. thanks.

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    You’re going to struggle to get a generic answer to this because, as ever, it depends..

...It depends on what your starting base is, how quick you are now, do you have a sprint jump or does this need to be developed, what you want to achieve, how it works in to an overall training programme, etc, etc. Also, sprinting is just as much about tactics as it is about speed if your flying lap question is in relation to track sprint.

So, to start with: If most of your riding/training is road based (or even turbo/rollers based), try searching out some sprint intervals and start introducing these in to your schedule. These will introduce leg speed to your riding and teach you about kick and jump. You could just start sprinting for road signs (or other road side furniture) as part of your rides but make sure you vary the distance each time. And try different gears each time to work out what works best for you.

The problem with a lot of velodrome training sessions is that they are very endurance orientated but if you spend time at the velodrome, ask the coach leading the session to help you with on track drills such as taking half laps or taking laps which develop your speed and sprint.

A couple of things that you need to bear in mind:

- without specifics of what you want to achieve you will get a load of relatively useless generalisms as per your other sprint thread

- I work with a coach who I pay for and some of us won’t divulge the specifics of our drills and exercises for that reason.

If you are in a club, ask if there is a coach associated to the club that can help you more.

I hope that helps you a bit.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.