NEWBIE HELP - First pair of clipless pedals ?

bilabonic
bilabonic Posts: 299
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All

After finally deciding on upgrading my old faithfull C Butler hybrid to a Felt F55 i have to say what a MASSIVE difference and totally astounded with speed/responsiveness of bike.

The only prob i know have is that i have my old clip pedals on the F55 (don't laugh)....

I have NEVER used a pair of clipless pedals and have read threads on here with peeps recommending Look for weight/ SPD for ease of use.

As i first user of these and not even got shoes what would people recommend as first pair of clipless ?

I will still be using the hybrid for commuting/shops etc. The F55 for training/long summer rides.

Cheers
Specialized Epic FSR Carbon Comp

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Depends how confident you are ?

I was very nervous - So brought some welgo platform pedals - a platform on one side and spd on the other - you can then pedal unclipped - until you get a a good bit of road - then click - they don't look great though, - I still use these on my commutting and mountain bike.

I have recently upgraded to spd/sl for my best bike - and these are superb - you feel much more attached to the bike - and the power transfer feel greater - they aren't that much more difficult to spd to click in & out of - but I was still glad I used spd to get me into clipless.
  • I started on cheapo mtb shoes from ebay and m540 spd pedals, with this option you can walk in the shoes, it is not too costly if you decide not to like clipless and the pedals are easier (IME) to get in and out of, Lidl have some cycling gear coming up soon so maybe take a look at some of their shoes, i also have spd sl system which have a more positive click when clipping in but took longer for me to get used to :)

Theres loads of threads on this, have a butchers round you'll find loads of helpful advice
  • Cheers guys, all threads i read recommend the 540's for beginners but the experienced are just laughing at the thought.

Whats the difference between normal spd and spd sl. ?

Think i will go with 520 for a sart though and some lidl or is it alsi shoes ?

Really like the look of LOOK easy ones though asnd light as hell.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I am experienced and I don't laugh at the thought - you can pick up some M520's online for around £15, and you can walk in the shoes, an added bonus for a newbie is the double-sided entry, you never have to fumble for the right side of the pedal. Entry and exit is probably also easier than "proper" road pedals. I have SPD's on all my bikes - one set of shoes does it all, never felt the need for road pedals.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Normal SPD - The contact point is a lot smaller - this means it is easier to click in and out of - and if you buy a shoes with a reccessed cleat - you can walk in these without problems
    Disavantages of normal SPD - some say the smaller contact point - causes hotspots - to much pressure in one area - causing foot pain.
    Lacks the solid feel of the larger cleat - look or SPD/SL

SPD/SL
    a bigger cleate, makes you feel more attached to the bike - greater power transfer - and performance.

Disadvantages
    Slightly more diffucult to click in and out of
    Walking not that easy (I mean you will be fine for a cafe stop - but don't go shopping in them !)

If you don't need the walking bit, and can get over the clickin process - I would go SPD/SL - the 105 s/l pedals are around £30 from ribble or ebay.
    I got a great pair of northwave vertigos for £55 from cyclestore a couple of weeks back...

in any case be sure to let us know how you get on
  • alfablue
    edited February 2009
    The SPD/hotspot issue is more influenced by the shoe's stiffness IMHO, there is a vast range of shoes with different characteristics in this respect - the more casual type probably being more flexible than more race oriented mtb shoes. Careful shoe choice and cleat fitting can eliminate this problem in my experience.
  • Oh yeh, almost forgot, nice bike, get some piccies up :D 8)

Also where'd you get it/how much?

tell me to bugger off if you like :) )
  • cheers guys. Sound advice, just getting used to the bike itself is a totally new experience, think i will opt for a pair of 540's and a set i can of shoes which i can walk in as well. Even though i would never walk further than 20 yards even when kitted out for riding on my hybrid (yes i am vain).

The felt will be purely for pushing myself and fitness, but looking at prices of pedals there is no reason why i can not upgrade at any time.

The bike is a 06 model which i had a a steal, well maintained with full dura ace/mavic askiums.

I still can not get over how responsive it is compared to my old claud which really puts things in comparison...my legs have never felt so light/powerful..lol

Cheers
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I've started with Shimano SPD-R Ultegra pedals which I picked up quite cheap off ebay. Engagement can be a bit fiddly, especially with overshoes on, but the release is okay. In a way I'm glad I started with second hand pedals because I have scratched them up quite a bit already clipping in and out.

As a slight aside, don't expect to become Lance Armstrong overnight just because you've gone clipless. I was a little bit dissappointed with how much difference it made. I used to use the strap clips and they pretty much the do same thing but you will feel more secure and more confident with your whirlwind sprinting. :D
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Carl_P wrote:
    I've started with Shimano SPD-R Ultegra pedals which I picked up quite cheap off ebay. Engagement can be a bit fiddly, especially with overshoes on, but the release is okay. In a way I'm glad I started with second hand pedals because I have scratched them up quite a bit already clipping in and out.

As a slight aside, don't expect to become Lance Armstrong overnight just because you've gone clipless. I was a little bit dissappointed with how much difference it made. I used to use the strap clips and they pretty much the do same thing but you will feel more secure and more confident with your whirlwind sprinting. :D

How do you know if a normal mtb shoe you can walk in with recessed cleats will fit a road pedal, there are a few dura ace pedals on ebay cheap enough, i take it i would need a dedicated road shoe for these ?

What does the R mean after spd R

Ta

Still undecided as to whtther to go for m540 wth walkable shoe or road pedal with stiff shoe or are they interchangeable to a degree ??
  • The Dura ace will be SPD-SL, so yes you will need a flat bottom road shoe for these.

You can get some shoes that can use both the M540/SPD and SPD-SL cleats such as these: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... HIMZSHR360

-but in general the SPD-Sl shoes are not compatible with SPD cleats; so Mtb shoes are in general not compatible with SPD-SL cleats.

Generaly you will need two different shoes for the two different types of system, as if you get the shoes above(compatible with both) then due to their flat bottom design you will eliminate the advantage of being able to walk with the SPD cleat like you can with the mtb reccessed cleat sole.

Id go with the SPD and some of these: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Shim ... -13051.htm which serve me brilliantly as a commuter/training shoe. Also easier to walk in than the equivilent RT51shoe. Wiggle, nor chain reaction seem to have the MO75 anymore....
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Crank Bros Eggbeaters with Spesh BG MTB shoes works perfectly for me.
  • Cheers blondie lover...............lol

Going to get those shoes, which pedals should i get for normal spd, the 540's ?

What are the lightest double sided ??

Ta
  • paul_or
    paul_or Posts: 156
    Well I bought some spd sl 540's last year and have now moved them on to my Orbea Aqua, and with a pair of Specialized BG road shoes I cannot fault them.

Ok, maybe one day i'll get round to upgrading to a lighter/more expensive pair but I do a reasonable mileage and average 17mph, so i'm not hindered by them.

They transformed my riding. However I did have a painful learning experience the week I fitted them, where I attempted to ride very slowly beside my daughter, and then went to put my foot down without thinking. Oh dear, foot stuck to pedal. I fell heavily into a thorny bush and learned a lesson there and then.

I now make sure I pull my left foot out of the cleat about 10 yds before a point where I anticipate I will have to stop.
    visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk
    I ... went to put my foot down without thinking. Oh dear, foot stuck to pedal. I fell heavily into a thorny bush and learned a lesson there and then.

I now make sure I pull my left foot out of the cleat about 10 yds before a point where I anticipate I will have to stop.

Did you go from flats straight to spd?
  • alfablue
    bilabonic wrote:
    Cheers blondie lover...............lol

Going to get those shoes, which pedals should i get for normal spd, the 540's ?

What are the lightest double sided ??

Ta

The weight difference between £15 M520's and £75 M970's (XTR) is 27g per pedal. Whilst the quality and bearings are a lot better on the M970's it will cost you more than £1 per gram weight saved, and I would probably be tempted by the cheapest as a newbie, then move on up if you like them. I don't think 55g total weight difference is much of an issue.

Probably the very lightest will be some Crank Brothers titanium jobbies - very very expensive, and with some question marks over their ability to stay in one piece.
  • Cheers, what about the 540's are they the same ?

I am going from cheapo plastic toe clip pedals.

After reading about the shoe sizing on the Shimano m075 most peeps are going for next size up for complaints of small sizing, anyone experienced this ??

Sorry to be a pain, but all a steep learning curve foe me.

Ta
  • alfablue
    The M540 are 352g and cost £30, the M520's are 580g, and £10 less (though they are often available on eBay upwards of £14). The 540's might last longer, though either should last years, the weight difference won't be noticeable, so it's all about what you want to spend.

As for Shimano sizing, I am usually 45, I had to get 47 in their MT90 boots.
  • Cheers then going to get the 540's and a pair size 9 which are in stock.
  • biondino wrote:
    Crank Bros Eggbeaters with Spesh BG MTB shoes works perfectly for me.

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • +1 for the Crank Bro's and Spesh BG MTB shoes. You stole my idea Blondie!! :twisted:

And yup, have had exactly the same problem with my feet sticking to the pedals when coming to a stop...

First time I used them was on a race, pulled up to my car after a quick warm up, stopped, feet magically stuck to the pedals, fell over infront of everyone else :oops:

BUT, is ok, as I'm not scared of a cock up or two... Or many... As I won the race (NOT!!!)

8)
    Chaz.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Just been offered a pair if time rxs carbon pedals for same price as 540's...... :o

Don't think they are a good starter pedal though lol, would look nice on the bike though....
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I went for the 540's rather than the 520's not because of the weight but because the colour was a better match for the 105 chainset. Tart? Quite possibly.