Etape Caledonia - Fitness and Gearing

Lochy
Lochy Posts: 70
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
I turned 40 last year and decided to return to cycling after a 20 year lay off, entering the Etape Caledonia as way of setting myself a target/challenge.

What I’m wondering is what level of fitness do you have to have to actually get round? So far (with other commitments) I’m only managing to get out twice a week, averaging 60 miles or so and I’m conscious that it’s only 13 weeks away!! I aim to have lost another stone in weight as well, so should be down to 13 ½ or less. My other question is about the gearing on my bike. It’s a 52/39 – 12/27, is this too big to get up the hills on the route?

Cheers

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    hmm

as a fellow sunny flat blackpool resident - and in a similar boat to you in terms of the etape as a target - i'd want to be changing that chainset to a compact to make sure - you are highly unlikely to think you need as high gear as the 53-12 - but you might well want a lower gear than 39-27 - where as a 50/34 compact will give you a still-acceptably-high 50-12 and a nice (very much) lower 34-27 which should see you up anything!

as for getting out - don't be too hard on yourself - twice a week isn't bad for this time of year with the freak weather we have been having the past few weeks! - this will pick up as Feb and march turn into spring.

if you are serious about losing another stone then also work hard on your diet which is where 90% of your weight loss gains will come from!

oh and finally - short runs out on the bike are worth it too - get some interval training sessions in (town riding is ideal for this) as this will raise your fitness and help you out on the big day!

best of luck!
  • Lochy
    Cheers for the reply gkerr. Had wondered about a compact when i bought the bike (Ribble) back in August last year. Thing is now, how much would it cost to change to a compact? As i'm pretty brassic!!! I'm slowly realising that i'm going to struggling to turn the current gears.

Plus i've not encountered many hills round here (as you'll be aware!), so i'm aiming for a couple of runs to Beacon Fell or out to the Trough.
  • gkerr4
    i don't know what the rest of your spec is - assuming shimano then all you really need to change is the chainset itself - tiagra ones can be had for around £40-£50 mark - sora was available for £31 recently with Parkers but think it is off offer now. 105 stuff is quite a jump up at around £80 for the chianset.

There is the possibility that you will require a new front gear mech but I think most modern shimano stuff can be used for either double or compact .

as a minimum though the front mech will need to be lowered to get it closer to the new (smaller) 50 tooth chainring rather than the 53 and then it will require being set up which is much easier on a double / compact than it is on a triple!
  • I am in very same situation. 41 yrs old and got into cycling in last 18 months to lose weight and get fit. Being a Scot, albeit exiled in rural Hertfordshire, I entered the Etape Caledonia as a motivational target.

I am currently running 53/39 and 12-25 gearing and find that I cope with most inclines locally no problem but have been seriously advised to consider a Compact for the Etape, however my road bike is equipped with Campagnolo Record and the cost of an equivalent compact crankset is eye watering :shock:

There are various posts on this topic in the Forum but consensus seems to be that a cheaper option might be to change the cassette to run a 27. I'm popping into my LBS this weekend to discuss the merits/costs. I'll post the response from them on here.

Good luck with your training.
    Cervelo RS 2010
    LOOK KG381 Team
    Colnago Dream Lux
    Specialized M4 Rockhopper Disc 2008
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    There are two stiff (but short) climbs on the course. I've done it several times (training and for real) and used 34/36 x 25/27 to get up the steepest part of the first one (Schiehallion); the second you can do with brute power in a higher gear (but it does come 75 miles in!).

Honestly, the worst that will happen is that you have to get off for 100 metres and there would be no shame in that.

The rest of the course is potentially very fast, so don't sacrifice your big ring if you can help it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• gkerr4
    millmead9 wrote:
    however my road bike is equipped with Campagnolo Record and the cost of an equivalent compact crankset is eye watering :shock:

Agreed!

Try and find a 2008 spec centaur carbon chainset - the weight difference is minimal and it won't look out of place against the record stuff (not unless you bend down and squint to read the 'centaur' logo!!)

I have a bike with all centaur carbon stuff - and have replaced the shifters with record - I was toying with upgrading things to record and think I will get the front and rear mechs - then I looked at the chainset price...

Titanium bolts or otherwise - think it will be staying as centaur!!
  • Lochy
    The bike is equipped with 105 throughout and i'm not sure whether i could justify replacing the chainset specifically for the ride. Plus i doubt Mrs Lochy would be too HP. Haven't told her how much it cost to enter, ha!

I might have to take my knocks as pointed out and do a bit of pushing if required!

Maybe with hindsight i should have specced the bike with a compact.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do not worry....Etape caledonia is very easy route...in fact I reckon mostly all of my summer training runs are much tougher, even when I venture up that neck of the woods I always include Glen Quaich or Ben lawers or the waterboard climb....and all these testers have been forgotten about for the Etape caledonia...a real shame IMO...

Its probably the flattest sportive in the Uk...so a good average speed can be acheived....the climb from Rannoch aint bad at all...very nice climb....

For me I reckon the Etape route is boring...surely a dismal offering for the possibilities up in that most gorgoues area....someone should be arrested for not including Glen Quich and Ben lawers....

So Lochy rest assure...you'll be just ok.
  • pneumatic
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    For me I reckon the Etape route is boring...surely a dismal offering for the possibilities up in that most gorgoues area....someone should be arrested for not including Glen Quich and Ben lawers.....

Boring? Maybe it would be if you were blind to the stunning scenery and unmoved by thrill of riding on closed roads.

Or perhaps you thrive on the excitement of riding with your head down praying that the next car to overtake your chain-gang doesn't meet a caravan coming the other way?
    :roll:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Anonymous
    Im not blind....I know the area is stunning...read my post and you'll see I said that....its just I reckon more could be made of the area with all the other stunning roads up there.

And I dont thrive on anyone getting hurt...what you on about?....did I even mention closed roads?....I reckon your anger has overcame your sense....

But since you mention it...Im up there riding mostly all the roads many times throughout the year, and I reckon they are some of the most traffic free roads Ive ever cycled over...thats why I ride the area so much....
  • If this is your first foray into sportive riding i would stick with your gearing and see how it goes. As the previous 2 posters point out it is one of the easiest in terms of climbing. Then you will have a good idea of what you need to change if you wish to try something harder.

I'm not sure the word "boring" is correct - more "not challenging enough" is what Richyboycp is getting at. The scenery is stunning if the weather is kind. I agree that the route could easily be made more challenging but suspect that the organisers may not get as many entrants. As it is, it probably offers a good entry to this kind of riding though it seems a bit pricey to me.

I think the closed roads is the big selling point. I too cycle a lot in Perthshire and frequently never meet traffic so i don't think it's necessary and i guess that's what the entry fee mainly goes on.
  • pneumatic
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Im not blind....I know the area is stunning...read my post and you'll see I said that....its just I reckon more could be made of the area with all the other stunning roads up there.

And I dont thrive on anyone getting hurt...what you on about?....did I even mention closed roads?....I reckon your anger has overcame your sense....

But since you mention it...Im up there riding mostly all the roads many times throughout the year, and I reckon they are some of the most traffic free roads Ive ever cycled over...thats why I ride the area so much....

Sorry, Richy, if that seemed offensive. I was not angry at all, just intrigued at the use of the word "boring" for something that has given me so much pleasure. I ride the area a lot, too, and there is some great stuff to do. Doing some of it once a year as a mass participation ride is just differently entertaining in all kinds of ways (like being able to use both sides of the road to build up speed coming off Sheihallion). Anyway, I'm looking forward to it and not expecting to be at all bored by my day out.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Anonymous
    Scapaslow...indeed you are correct...'boring' was the wrong term...'not challenging' much more appropriate.

Pneumatic - Thanks for that, well appreciated....

I think Perthshire in General in an incredible area for cycling....and around loch tay is staggering...and I'm simply out of sorts with the Etape caledonia route...I would love to see a big 100mile sportive up there taking in all the brutes...the scenery from the top of the Lawers climb and Glen Quaich is 2nd to none...and the climb up Schehallion is tremendous aswell (and I prefer the Braes of Foss climb up there from Rannoch)...

Bu then again, a big killer route may put a lot off...but I just keep thinking....the Fred Whitton sells out in no time and thats a monster of a ride with some 'never to be forgotten' climbs...and thats not on closed roads....imagine a closed road 100 odd miler up in beautiful Perthshire taking in all our local legends?
  • pneumatic
    Cheers, Richy!

A bit outside Perthshire, but there's always the Trossachs Ton on 21 June. That takes in the Duke's Pass and the Crow Road. I've got it in my diary and it certainly looks like a sterner test for climbing enthusiasts than the EC.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Mal_A
    Mal_A Posts: 3
    Am in the same boat, Etape is my first sportive, I'm now aged 36 and am slightly scared by my fitness, longest ride to date is 40m and I was nearly dead. And that was down here in Bucks & it's pretty flat. Still it's a challenge; one I need & am looking forward to.

Fortunately I have a compact chain ring (34) so should be ok gearing wise (if I get round :D ) but am considering some new wheels at present, my Giant SCR1.5 comes with Alex DA22's and the hubs are pants. Besides I want some really sexy ones, am looking at Bontrager Race Lites, they'll set me back about £400 including new cassette (ultegra or 105) and some decent 22/23mm tyres. Hope the Mrs doesn't find out; still she can't complain too much, my waist has lost two inches since I started riding last summer...

I do have a question tho' - current cassette is 12-25, would getting a 12-27 make any noticable difference or is the compact chain ring the main thing..?

Cheers for any advice.
  • Anonymous
    pneumatic wrote:
    Cheers, Richy!

A bit outside Perthshire, but there's always the Trossachs Ton on 21 June. That takes in the Duke's Pass and the Crow Road. I've got it in my diary and it certainly looks like a sterner test for climbing enthusiasts than the EC.

I see your a fifer Pneumatic...well I did a rout over your way today which also has roads which would be perfect for a tough sportive....it was a tough 60 miler....heres where I went...you maybe interested...

Kinross - Straight Into Ochils past Meikle Seggie to Path of Condie - then up the steep switchback climb before the plunge down to Dunning - from there up the very sore climb over the 'Common of Dunning' - before descending to Yetts Muckart - then up Glen Devon to Auchterarder - backroads to Kinkell Bridge before the lovely drag climb upto Findo Gask - down the steep descent heading for Dunning again but took right for small backroad that delivered me north of Forteviot before that crippling piece of road to Glenfarg - then up the Churchhill and lovely backroads to the great decent to Milnathort
    before going back to Kinross...excellent route on mostly quiet backroads....add in Crieff and the great Langside drag in the west, and the Pitmedden forest and Falkland Hill in the East and youve got a brilliant 100mile sportive :wink:

Of fur a cuppa as totally burst after today.
  • pneumatic
    First time I cycled from home to Crieff, I naively supposed that the backroad from Glenfarg to Dunning would be a bucolic short-cut. It was a hot humid day and I suffered horribly.

Since then, I've been back regularly to test my climbing strength.

A road to add to your circuit, is the Glen Tarkie climb from the North (horrible climb followed by a fantastic descent.) You take the road signposted Fife Off Road Centre and come out close to Strathmiglo so you can go on to Falkland for the Lomonds.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations