blencathra? helvellyn?

peteroughton169
peteroughton169 Posts: 9
edited February 2009 in Routes
any one done these routes? if so, any tips, ime experienced and love a big challenge! dont mind the walk up, but was wondering if thyeres any preferred descents from either of them, maps would be appreciated :lol:

Comments

• Walked up Blencathra last xmas.
    the walk up (that we did) is very very steep. There were a few swichbacks nearer the top which were also very steep and pretty rough terrain. At the top, the path is also close to a sheer drop, which could be dangerous if its windy.

I'd imagine it would be terrible to ride up, and quite dangerous and very challenging to ride down.

I'd walk it 1st and make up your own decision, but I'm not sure that i'd ride it, it was bloody hard walking!
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Depends upon the route, but Blencathra is probably not a good choice - all the "tops" are steed and difficult - any error will be fatal!

Blease Fell is an option, but is simpy a path on a wide fell - so no challenge at all. There is a Round Blencathra route"

Helvellyn has a couple of possibles, avoiding Sharp and Swirral Edges, Routes up Lower Man and Dollywagon Pike should be possible.

The South Lakes Group of the RSF have posted photo reports on websites and may be worth contacting for current andlocal information or guidance.
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx7OWHbkA54

Video of a certain "other" magazine doing one of the possible descents from Helvellyn.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    None of the access on to Blencathra is bridleway - it's either public footpath or not public rights of way so strictly speaking it's off limits for bikes.

I've done Helvellyn from the Thirlmere side - if you start at Wythburn there's a bridlway runs up Birk Rigg onto Nethermost Pike. It's a hell of slog but once you've done it then the run along the Helvellyn ridge is absolutely fantastic - it's wide, flat and rocky with some really technical sections but no danger of falling off any big hills!

Once you get to Great Dodd at the Northern end of the ridge, its an easy run down onto the old coach road which links Dacre with St John's in the Vale. You've then got a nice easy pootle down the Western shore of Thirlmere back to Wythburn.

If you'll PM me your e-mail I'll send you a route map.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic