Advice needed - gearing for Dragon Ride

The dogfish
The dogfish Posts: 14
I am doing the Dragon Ride this summer and was wondering about the gearing on my bike - I have 53/39 chainrings and 12/25 cassette. I am not a particulalry powerful biker and like to spin rather than hammer out in the big rings.

Daron

Comments

• Should be ok, but I know it includes alot of hills so as long as you are comfortable doing lots of hills in eg 39-23 and have the 25 as an emergency gear. Again its more down to what training you do up to it rather than just the gears. If you are doing hilly 90 mile rides before it ok with your gearing then youl be fine.
  • about right, the dragon is a ride that has more "alpine" style climbs than any other. Mind you 2nd time up the Bwylch is hard in any gear!!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • ...look forward to that one then! Im doing it for the first time this year and am going on a compact chainset just to be safe!..
  • 39x25 is spot on.
    left the forum March 2023
  • about right, the dragon is a ride that has more "alpine" style climbs than any other. Mind you 2nd time up the Bwylch is hard in any gear!!

I would like to take you with me on the side of the alps where I orginate... you might change your mind about alpine climbs
    left the forum March 2023

I would like to take you with me on the side of the alps where I orginate... you might change your mind about alpine climbs

note the " etherr side of Alpine, there is no need to change my mind on the test that a prpoer Alpine climb would bring.
    But the Dragon doesn't have the savage climbs like many of the UK sportives offer, and the word was at best used loosely.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • I live in the area, I did the Dragon last year on a 39-25. Due to problems I've put a 34-27 set up on.

I can spin up any of the hills with no pain now.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Cheers for all the advice - I'll just give the Bwlch and Rhigos a go and see how I fare.

Daron