Emly

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
Hi All

Road around Briestfield, Emly, Kirkheaton back to Dalton and Colne Bridge and back home via Hartshead and Clifton to Lightcliife yesterday. It was a bit an exploratory ride as I normally ride out Hebden/Ripponden/Scammonden way. Anyone who knows the area got any suggestions of routes ? Riding from the Lightcliffe area BTW. It seems quite and interesting area and quite undulating ; )

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    Hi, what did you want to know?

I live in Emley so know the roads well, although with two young kids and all the recent snow and ice it is difficult to get out much.

I usually head out southwards, on the various roads above or through New Mill and Holmfirth, looping around towards Penistone, Cawthorne, Kexborough. I suppose that would be a bit of a trek for you though, given your starting point.

Within a handful of miles of Emley village the views off Paul Lane (Flockton Moor - Emley Moor) are good. Running along to the mast and past the Three Acres, Shelley is a decent run.

The hills into Emley are testing (particularly Station Road from Skelmanthorpe at Park Gate) and Kiln Lane from Clayton West.

The run up from Wakefield Road to High Hoyland is a good workout or a bonkers downhill depending which way you do it!
  • Chris James

I live in Emley so know the roads well, although with two young kids and all the recent snow and ice it is difficult to get out much.

I usually head out southwards, on the various roads above or through New Mill and Holmfirth, looping around towards Penistone, Cawthorne, Kexborough. I suppose that would be a bit of a trek for you though, given your starting point.

Within a handful of miles of Emley village the views off Paul Lane (Flockton Moor - Emley Moor) are good. Running along to the mast and past the Three Acres, Shelley is a decent run.

The hills into Emley are testing (particularly Station Road from Skelmanthorpe at Park Gate) and Kiln Lane from Clayton West.

The run up from Wakefield Road to High Hoyland is a good workout or a bonkers downhill depending which way you do it!
  • Chris James

• Chris James
    So good I posted it twice! And it didn't let me the delete the second post as it said it had been replied to. Although it hadn't.
  • allen
    I rode up from home via Hartshead/Clifton and came up to Briestfield via Thornhill Edge which was quite technical. Am wondering about riding up from Mirfield into Emly. Just wondered best pref traffic free routes

Thanks
  • Chris James
    As I said, I tend to go the other way.

Mirfield is Ravensthorpe Cycling Club territoty and there are a few guys on here from there.

I am not sure if you can really avoid the main road to Grange Moor, which has quite a bit of traffic but quite a scenic road. From Grange Moor you can either turn right towards Huddersfileld and then left onto Paul Lane, towards the mast.

Or if you go through Flockton and right after the church along Pinfold Road to Emley, that is okay.

On summer evenings I sometimes do a circuit Emley, Flockton , main road, left towards Emley Moor crossroads, right at crossroads, left towards Highburton / Kirkburton, left up the hill to the mast, right to Shelley, left on main road to Skelmanthorpe, left on Station Road back to Emley.

This only involves short stretches of busy roads and has quite a bit of climbing, downhills and nice views.
  • If you follow your original route via Hartshead, drpp down to the Three Nuns on Leeds Road,and turn left towards Dewsbury at the second set of lights, less than a mile brings you to halfpenny bridge. Cross the Calder here and keep on climbing hard for a while. Ignoring the 1st r but turning r at next junction brings you to Blacksmiths Arms. Turn L for Grange Moor etc...better start for you?
  • allen
    Turn L for Grange Moor etc...better start for you?

That is much better avoids the nasty bit of traffic just past the 3 nuns. Any suggestions re routes once up to the Blacksmiths ?
  • If you want to go beyond Emley, have you considered the "windmills Road". From Shelley climb over to Upper Cumberworth (the road is between Shelley and Skelmanthorpe) straight across the Denby Dale Road and then straight across (Main Road from Sheffield to Huddersfield) again. Take the first left and follow your nose as far as the windmills, then turning hard right and doubling back on yourself (right again at the T junction at the end). Fantastic views, virtually no traffic (and not a lot as you climb through Cumberworth), possibly best not done on a windy day as it is very exposed (unless you want a work out...)

Another favourite road in that area is the little one from the Dunkirk pub on the Denby - Cawthorne road, which brings you out at High Hoyland. Possibly best not ridden in the wet as there are quite a lot of livestock that might leave evidence of their passing on that route. Also, there are some rough stretches so best tackled in the Dunkirk - High hoyland direction, but a good variation of the route home.

I live near Farnley and there are a fantastic range of possible routes round here.
  • Chris James
    The Windmills route described (or similar - there are many options) and Dunkirk Inn to Cawthorne are regular routes of mine too and I would also recommend them.
  • Saturday morning from the bridge by the pear tree on Huddersfield Road, Mirfield. Normally 09.00. Ravensthorpe cc run a steady ride over Emly, up to the windmills cafe . Normally back for 12.30 (including coffe stop) Not just club members, everyone welcome! Route is very scenic, speed is steady and you will get to know the roads around the area. Some great scenery.
  • You could do the Huddersfield Cycling Association's Reliability Ride this Sunday 22nd Feb (9.00am from Ritz Ballroom, Brighouse). New route this year. One will be 100 miles and I think there maybe a shorter one too. A number of the Huddersfield Star Wheelers will be doing it. It's only a few quid to enter. The route may well head out to the Dales.
  • allen wrote:
    Turn L for Grange Moor etc...better start for you?

That is much better avoids the nasty bit of traffic just past the 3 nuns. Any suggestions re routes once up to the Blacksmiths ?

I live in Kirkheaton and normally head out in the direction of Grange Moor when out riding. I always go past the Blacksmiths towards Grange Moor, further along the road I turn left just after the Hare n Hounds (signposted Whitely I think?) continue along that road until you get to a bus turnaround just before Charlottes Ice cream, there's a road to your right called Fixby Road or Fallhouse Lane. If you turn down there it will take you up into the centre of Grange Moor avoiding much of the traffic from the main road.