Maintainence

markpotts147
markpotts147 Posts: 100
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Been riding for about 3 months now and loving it by the way.

Just wondering what parts of the bike you guys check on a regular basis. What gets lubed all the time, what to look for etc etc

Any info. would be great.

Cheers :D

Comments

• After every ride I clean, check and lube the drive chain Every so often I'll give her a full clean. Twice a year she gets a full strip down and rebuild.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • If the chain's new, or you can be bothered to clean it, the best lube is the Purple Extreme stuff - lasts for ages & doesn't turn into black grinding paste! Not the cheapest, but possibly more economical. It's liquid but turns waxy after you apply it. You can feel just by touching it whether there's still any there or not. Works summer & winter.
    I check the front mech, as mine seems to fill up with mud & refuse to work quite regularly.
    Everything else seems to take care of itself, but it depends on where/how often you ride & what the conditions are like. I just lube moving parts occasionally.
    If your headset's not well sealed it'll need re-greasing reasonably regularly.
    I tend to not clean the bike too well, just the moving parts...
  • If it's dry and not too crudded, a good sweep over with a stiff and dry paintbrush is quite easy to do. Careful not to sweep the dried muck onto the chain, though.
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!