safest way to take baby on / behind a bike?

jonathan2
jonathan2 Posts: 78
Hi, I have a 11 month old little girl. We are planning ahead for the warmer weather :D and are thinking about getting a cycle seat (problably front mount - weeride or ibert); OR a trailer such as the bumper explorer. BUT obviously, safety is our main concern. Which method (trailer or 'on bike seat' is safest. A trailer seems vulnerable, but has 'roll' bars. Are there any statistics, what do people recommend?

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I don't have a trailer, but based on my experience with a rear seat, it has got to be the safer option.

Admittedly, I have taken my son out signletracking (easy) since he was about 18 month old and that can not be done with a trailer.

Now at 30 months old he can ride his own bike (with stabilisers) so a trailer is a wise investment if you do a lot of on-road or fire road cycling, I suppose.
  • we were in the same dilemma last year and chose a Co-Pilot rear bike seat instead of a bike trailer because my wife commutes with our daughter every day on busy streets. If you are going to be riding on narrow or crowded streets then I recommend a bike seat because with a bike seat your child suffers the same fate as you (since he/she is so close to you). One note though: having a child in a bike seat requires you to manage your balance and speed whereas with a bike trailer you are just towing more weight.

If you are going to be riding in wide bike lanes or on paved bike baths then the versatility of a bike trailer may be worth it. Specifically, a bike trailer allows you to carry lots of stuff (e.g. diapers, food, water, groceries, etc.) and gives your child protection from the sun; both of which make it easier to go on long rides. Further, you can fall without harming child. Another reason to get a bike trailer is it can hold two kids.

Finally, I have heard good things from friends about the front seats too.
  • We have both - we have a chariot tralier, which with a baby sling, can be used from around 3 months - and more recently we got an ibert front seat. We use them differently, depending on the occasion. Over the winter, we haven't used the ibert seat because our daughter would have been too exposed to the cold, but as spring / summer approaches, I think we will use it more. Also, if your baby falls asleep, there is no real support for his/her head, and so at the moment, we are likely to limit the use of the ibert seat to shorter trips.

The trailer has been great and we've had loads of use out of it, particularly because we run as well, and the chariot has an adaptor kit to turn it into a buggy. We do feel a bit unnerved using it on busy urban roads, but quiter roads / cylce tracks etc are fine. But its width limits its use on narrower paths / off-road tracks, and even designated tow-paths / cycle paths often have barriers / gates (to stop cars / motorbikes) which can be a pain with the trailer.

If you have the buget, and are likely to bike your baby in a number of different circumstances, then get both. Otherwise, it will depend on what kind of cycling you tend to do, and where you live.
  • A quick question to ask yourself. have you come off your bike in the last 10 years? If no then go for a seat. If yes then go for a trailer. Theres safety pros and cons of each so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

The copilot limo is the safets of all the seats. theres an account of a bike crashing and the little one being fine in the CTC guide to family cycling.

You might want to look at my blog and my US friends totcycle (they have the latest and best review of front seats)
  • Also have both. A Chariot trailer and a weeride centric. I use both together at the moment as have 3 under 5's - normally only 2 of them with me though :)

The trailer is great all year round as they are nice and snug and can also accomodate a lot of gear. HAve been riding for 4 years with it and never had any problems with safety. I am mainly riding on the road around the town where I live so some busy roads but mostly quiet side streets. It can be used from a much younger age as comfy for a sleeping baby. It has a roll bar and 5 point harness and the bike can go right on ot side without the trailer tipping. I think the safety of trailers will depend on the make as some do look a bit flimsy so worth checking a few out.

The weeride is relatively new to me but love it compared to the times I have used a rear seat. Doesn't bother my handling much and enjoy being close to my little one for a chat. I use it for my 3 year old and did try my 11 month old in it but she looked very tiny in it and I lost my nerve after a few minutes and puit her back in the trailer just because I felt she was too exposed. I personally like the trailer best until they are 18 months plus.
    Vicky
    Trying to cycle with 3 under 5's