lidl clothing ?

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
somebody mentioned on another thread that they are about to have a special on cycling clothing , anyone know when it starts ? and is it summer or winter gear ?

Comments

• pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    The date was Thursday 26th Feb and i'd imagine it'll be summer gear that they're selling :)
  • 2 Questions

Does anyone know if the shoes in Lidl's are any good?

Also read that the £20 shoes in Aldi are decent. Does anyone know when Aldi are selling their bike gear again?
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Aldi sell the Cranes brand which is quite good for the money. They were also selling shoes for £20 but they looked and felt terrible.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I have the aldi winter leggings - very good for the price - and the winter top, again very good for the price

I didn't need the shoes but if not, why not for 20 quid if they fitted right ????
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The Lidl shoes are really good - stiff soles, comfortable and hard wearing. Didn't like the look of the Aldi ones - were like chunky football boots with cleats on! Might be good to ride in I guess but my vote would go to Lidl. For colthes, Aldi are generally better, but its all good enough to commute in.
  • MarjMJ
    MarjMJ Posts: 35
    have had a look here http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... index.ar10
    Nothing showing for the next few weeks.

FWIW have bought bike toolkit and computer from Lidl. Kit is good, and attaches under saddle ok, but the little computer kind of died after a while.
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Had the lidl shoes, they fell apart (split in the sole in half) after about one year of use - not that stiff either, Have been using specialized MTB shoes or a couple of years now, would never buy Lidl or Aldi shoes (no point as the shoes I have show no signs of wear)

I also have the winter cycling tights from lidl a few years back – superb, still perform in soaking rain. Prefer the pads in the crane (aldi) bib shorts to those in the lidl stuff.

The waterproofs are a waste of money if you are like me and you sweat a lot, best off with a Paclite or Event jacket.

I've never had expensive shorts or tights so can't really compare them to anything else - may treat myself (to see if I've been missing something!)
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • I have done near 1k in a pair of Aldi's Crane SPD shoes. I must admit being sckeptical when I bought them, as the materials seemed a little plasticky and they aren't the prettiest... however, they have a pair of velcro fasteners and a third ratchet style tightener which works admirably. They have been soaked, covered in mud, washed and roughed about and they are going strong and looking pretty much as new.

With the other comments I prefer the pads in the Crane brand bibs and tights and my Crane flouro wind/waterproof rolls up small enough to fit in an Topeak under saddle bag. Also, the Crane winter tights and bibs are really windproof and water resistant, whereas the Lidls ones are thinner and lighter weather wear imho. Also, Lidl zips are in my view to be avoided... very poor on cycle gear and on other clothing. Aldi have superior fasteners. That said I will be getting a couple pair of the Lidl shorts at £5.99 a pop... and will try to squeeze into the ladies 3/4's!

It looks like the Lidls shoes this next week are basically cycle/trainers rather than clip in style... from the picture in the leaflet at any rate. Aldi have not advertised the spring cycle gear yet, but I will post a link when they do. The Lidl one is:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/i.home

But the offers for Thursday aren't on yet.
  • By the way, Lidl are doing a wireless cycle computer for £3.90 with 20 features including a calorie counter, fat burner calc and a thermometer! £3.90! Unreal. Thursday next week.
  • paul_or
    paul_or Posts: 156
    I bought a cycling jacket and a shirt (long sleeve) last year and I think I paid £15 for the both. Now they felt like they cost £15 for both, but they got some use and for tha price, considering how expensive 'proper' kit is, you can't go wrong. The shirt was very static-y.

However I sold a load of clothes on ebay after I lost weight last autumn, and because Wiggle takes paypal I blew the proceeds on 'proper' cycle clothing for myself which has seen me thru a cold winter!!!
    visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk

Not sure about the shoes but then I have weird feet forcing me to spend a bit more money than I really want to.

Oddly Lidl's bike page also advertises decorative bark chips and compost. Maybe cycling and gardening aren't mutually exclusive in Germany :?
    FCN = 4.5 Roadie, hairy legs, half a beard (say goateeeeee!)
  • Are these shoes any good???
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Pretty good in my experience. Mine are starting to die after 2 years almost daily commuting so will pick up a new pair next week. If they are the same ones, they take SPD cleats, and are durable. They usually have 2 or 3 designs - some look better than others! Fairly stiff soles, although they are OK to walk in and I have occasionally worn them in the gym when I've forgotten my trainers - fine for the rower / general weights equipment, although I wouldn't be running in them.
  • crabstix wrote:
    It looks like the Lidls shoes this next week are basically cycle/trainers rather than clip in style... from the picture in the leaflet at any rate.

But the offers for Thursday aren't on yet.

New offers now online.

Men’s or Ladies’ Cycling Shoes

* Lace fastening with hook & loop strap for extra support
    * With pedal cleat attachment points
    * Sizes:
    * - Ladies: 4 - 7
    * - Men: 7 - 11
    * Price per pair

18.58*
    Only available while stocks last
  • Ahhhh.... SPDs. Worth a look I'll wager.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    The shoes are perfect. I got them last time. Try them on first though. I took a bigger size than I would normally have.
  • I was thinking of getting one of the jackets, since i'm rather skint at the moment and need a new one to keep me going.

Does anybody know wether they are worth the money?
  • paul_or
    paul_or Posts: 156
    I was thinking of getting one of the jackets, since i'm rather skint at the moment and need a new one to keep me going.

I bought one last year. Be careful you get the right size; for a first jacket, or for emergencies when caught in a downpour it's fine, but like all cycling kit, the unbendable rule is that you get what you pay for!!!!
    visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk

I bought one last year. Be careful you get the right size; for a first jacket, or for emergencies when caught in a downpour it's fine, but like all cycling kit, the unbendable rule is that you get what you pay for!!!!

Yeh, it will just be a temporary measure.

In what way can the sizing be a problem? I'm usually a medium in tops, jackets etc so was just gonna go with that. I'm not actually gonna be there to try it on....ah well, i'm sure I could just return it if it was the wrong size. :P
  • Bump!

Just a reminder that It starts today. http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... 11&nf=True

I'm popping down to my local store at lunchtime to pick up a pair of the shoes.
    Boardman Team Carbon

Cube LTD Race

Knackered old Mountain Bike of indeterminate origin.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Leodhasach wrote:
    Bump!

Just a reminder that It starts today. http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... 11&nf=True

I'm popping down to my local store at lunchtime to pick up a pair of the shoes.

Mine are comfortable when I walk from the PC to the kettle, yet to ride in them but after last years offering, I'm confident they will be OK apart from the crap laces.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • I've just been down and picked up a pair. They seem to be reasonable enough. Managed to get a couple of other odds and ends that should keep me going through the summer. The computer is a bargain for £3.90! I'm not expecting anything phenomenal from it but I'm harldy going to complain seeing as it's about the same price as a magazine!
    Boardman Team Carbon

Cube LTD Race

Knackered old Mountain Bike of indeterminate origin.
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Anyone know where I can find out where my nearest Lidl is? Done a google search but no help. Thx
    Shazam !!
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Ah yes, i should have scrolled down the page. Thanks again.
    Shazam !!
  • Are the shoes ok for on Road Bike?
  • lidl stuff is a pile of cr*p.go to proper bike retailer that sells clothing and shoes.
  • phelim1 wrote:
    lidl stuff is a pile of cr*p.go to proper bike retailer that sells clothing and shoes.

really helpful. I got a toolkit and seat bag from there and it's done me ok. Also the running socks I got there a while back are still my favourites above anything. So some of it suits me, some of it doesn't, much like any other kit - only it's a lot cheaper to find out which does and which doesn't.
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    My other half went down for me this morning armed with my shopping list. In the end she only bought the computer and saddle bag kit as she said the quality of the clothing was well below the standard of the Crane gear sold by Aldi.
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I popped down to my local at about 11am. I didnt have high expectations but was still dissapointed with what I saw.

I guess the stuff is ok if you are a fresh beginner to cycling and need some gear on a budget. The computer looks good for the price same with the shoes, great for a newbie or as a cheap pair for commuting or something. Gloves looked naff, the shorts had poor padding, halogen lights are so old school.

I went for socks and a jersey but they only had socks for small feet and I was less than impressed by the quality of the jerseys, shame cos they had an ok design.

Judging by the jumble-sale way all the stuff was piled up on the display I got there a bit late. Shame cos £1.95 for 2 pair o socks, that was the only thing I really wanted.