Garmin Edge 205 for LEJOG?

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm contemplating a LEJOG late in the summer this year and have been wondering how best to use my Garmin Edge 205 for navigation. I haven't had the Edge for long and haven't done any really long rides with it (nothing over 100 miles), but I gather there aren't a huge number points available for routes and tracks.

So my questions:

1) Would there be enough waypoints available for the entire ~1000mile route (on minor roads/lanes where possible) using 1 or 2 points per turn?

2) Could I upload a track of the entire route instead and use this to navigate with?

I could potentially split the route into two and upload the second half when I stop at my mates house near Moffat if that would make any difference.

Thanks.
More problems but still living....

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hi

The Edge will hold 100 waypoints so the answer to your first question is 'no' I'm afraid.

On the second question, the specifications don't say how many trackpoints it will hold, but I suspect the answer will be 'not enough'.

Your best bet for doing what you want to do would be something like a Legend HCx. £130 from amazon plus £12 for a bike mount.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I also have a Garmin Etrex (the basic yellow one) - 10,000 track points same as the HCx. Bikehike works out at 15,395 points, which I can reduce to 10,000 and it looks ok still. I used the Etrex for an offroad C2C once, but found it a real pain having to divide the route into multiple parts.

Does anyone know how many trackpoints the Edge will accept?
    More problems but still living....