buying a touring bike

tourking
tourking Posts: 2
edited February 2009 in Tour & expedition
I recently signed up to my works cycle2work scheme since I plan to do a trip round Iceland in the Summer.

Deciding on a steel framed mid-range tourer I had settled on a

Ridgeback Panorama or
Dawes Super/Ultra Galaxy

I have since contacted Halfords and found out you can no longer spend more than £1000 like i did in previous years. Therefore my options are now rather limited.

I'm now considering a Claud Butler Dalesman but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Flane
    Flane Posts: 16
    Condor Heritage with XT or 105 is £1,149 - runs like a dream. See the Condor Cycles website.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Flane wrote:
    Condor Heritage with XT or 105 is £1,149 - runs like a dream. See the Condor Cycles website.
    Yes, I want one of these!

To get it under £1k you can get a Deore build.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    If you are tied to halfrauds, they would say that, i suppose, but you can get a super galaxy for less than a grand elsewhere and I would strongly recommend it as a bike. Mine has been just wonderful.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• alfablue
    Condor Cycles accept the Halfords vouchers, the Heritage is a Galaxy beater!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    alfablue wrote:

It does look rather beautiful, even if you do have to buy the rack separately.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Here you go

http://www.bikesheduk.com/

Good price for the Dalesman
  • alfablue
    pneumatic wrote:
    alfablue wrote:

It does look rather beautiful, even if you do have to buy the rack separately.
    I am not sure about the rack, when I got a quote for an XT equipped one it included the rack, the red version shows a rack fitted, the green (with Campag) doesn't. The bike got a 9/10 in Cycling Plus last May. They commented that it was a fast bike despite it's touring credentials. It is the same sort of price as a Super Galaxy (well, as an 08 Super Galaxy from SPa Cycles), but has an Italian steel frame, and the build is fully customisable. I have to wait till September when my current Cyclescheme purchase finishes, to get mine. Looking at all the tourers available around this price it seems to be a class above the rest.
  • I got a quote for the Deore Condor Heritage yesterday...

The quote included the rear rack and guards. They also said they were very flexible about the spec.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.