Your favourite cycling quote

2»

Comments

• Well I'm blushing.
    I like the quote from a Tour cyclist in the 80's who when asked how hard the stage had been said "The snow turned black".
    And Jash's t-shirt.
    And I use "I am tranquilo" a lot in every day life (usually when caught out for sneaky tea time beer)
    Dan
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    From one the the female British Olympic Cyclists (can't remember which one)

"You have to ride like you never have to breath again"

From Chris (Why no Knighthood?) Boardman, talking about the last 1km of a pursuit. It's not word for word but the spirit's right

"You have to ask yourself the question, can I make it through the last kilometre? If the answer is yes, you haven't tried hard enough. If the answer is no, you've tried too hard. The correct answer is 'I don't know'"

EDIT BIt scared to add these two, but we're not in the road section so it should be OK

"Pain is temporary, it may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever"

"Everybody wants to know what I am on. What am I on? I'm on my bike, busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Wasn't it Boardman who said something like, the perfect time-trial is one where you'd drop dead from exhaustion immediately after crossing the finish line.

A bit extreme :shock: but I see his point.
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Light, Strong, Cheap.......Pick two. - Keith Bontrager
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    "That which does not kill me makes me stronger"

I think of this one a lot, especially when it's raining sideways on a cold Sunday morning in December and I really don't want to be going out and doing a 40 miler with a head wind.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • "... most riders would perform much better if they paid more attention to their 'engines' (bodies) rather than worrying about the merits of one seatpost compared to another.", Simon Doughty.

Nicked from a sig,(can't reember whos) works for me though....................
  • I think this was a Joey McLaughlin one.

When asked where he finished in the sprint, he said 'At that big white line!' :roll:
    AT MY AGE, I SHOULD KNOW BETTER !!!
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    RyanB wrote:
    "Ride it like ya stole it!"

I heard shouted one day out on the hills

That's in the cannondale bad boy catalogue! With a picture of a tubby american...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I seem to have confused my intentions with my abilities

I don't have a clue where it came from, but it describes my riding to a T
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Robmanic1 wrote:
    Personally not a fan of this. Amputation? Mumps? Non-lethal brain damage?
    Yes, I know, I am pedantic.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Personally not a fan of this. Amputation? Mumps? Non-lethal brain damage?
    Yes, I know, I am pedantic.

Yes.......you are! :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Mine is from the film The Flying Scotsman. On Graeme Obree's second attempt on the 1hr record in 2 days:
    Obree's Wife: "This is where it went wrong yesterday"
    Obree's Friend: "Yes, but that was yesterday..."
    I <3 the Boardman one above too.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • "
    girv73 wrote:

Dunno where I read this, it was a magazine back in the 90's sometime, but it's stuck with me.

"Today is a good day to ride"

Paraphrasing Star Trek :)
    "

Or is it Old Lodge Skins in Little Big Man? "Today is a good day to die."

I quite like the one from Terminator 2 "Ah me back."
  • Mastineo
    Mastineo Posts: 182
    "I'm b*ll*xed" - me most Sundays after the club ride!!!
  • 'The gross and net result of it is that people who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles.’
    Flann O’Brien – the Third Policeman
  • Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.
    Albert Einstein
  • The bicycle, surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley
  • “When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.
    Arthur Conan Doyle, 1896
  • It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. ~Ernest Hemingway