Cycling holiday somewhere warm before end March, any ideas?

markmod
markmod Posts: 501
edited March 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am about fed up with this weather now, and have about five or so days holiday to have before end of March. I would like to go on a road cycling holiday somewhere warm, not too mountainous, but with some good cycling. I would like the bike to be supplied and be quite good spec if possible.

I don't want to travel ridiculous distance to do this from Europe/ Uk just wondered if anybody has experience or can recommend something/ somewhere... or some company who run this type of thing.

I am haven't got alot of experience of riding mega distances, so my fitness although OK i i would say is not triathlon fit if you get my drift... A cycle training camp style holiday would perhaps be too much I reckon?...

I'm actually surprised at the lack/ level of quality websites/ companies on the web who do this type of holiday - I'm perhaps looking for the 'sunsail' of road bike riding holidays, do they exist??

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Majorca, cycling paradise. And you'll have loads of company at that time of year.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Yes, I'd also recommend Mallorca, pretty cheap to get to and accomm no problem that time of year. Andulucia, in Southern Spain is another option.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Majorca is very good - especially the North. Gran Canaria should be warm. Be warned though nowhere in the Euro Zone is cheap anymore. I was in Corfu town around New Year on Business & paid £5 in a hotel bar for a small bottle of local lager. By the way mainland Greece, including Athens, was covered in snow when I flew over it!
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Morrocco for sure but there are pluses and minuses re safety issues etc. if you go DIY..Lots of Cycling hoilday companys do guided tours in March..Maybe best to use one cos the distances between decent accomdation stop s in the Atlas mountains may be too far for most mere mortals...On the other hand guided tours can sometimes be too easy and not do enough daily mileage for the more keen.Went with Explore this time last year You can downlaod their itninery from their cycling section.. Expensive but you can book your own flight to save on the cost.i
    jc
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I run a training camp in Spain for road and off road take a look at my web site and see what you think. www.pro.cycling.tours.co.uk

Wayne

That link doesn't work for me.

I'd forget the idea of Tenerife for a start. Too mountainous for noobs.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925