Should commuting have it's own cake stop area?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    How's the back Greg? any slight twinges?

offfffffffff topic woohoo!

hehehe...

Lower back - tick

Upper back - pulled a muscle earlier in the week. Bit sore for 48 hours but now calmed down.

Seeing the physio this am following yesterday's spill (see the Black Ice thread) as a precautionary measure.

I think the problem was really the stretching exercises. Now it's not hurting now, and I've stopped doing the exercises. I think there was definitely a connection there. :wink::D:wink:

You want to watch those little tumbles at your age, the waiting list for hip replacement pretty long :lol:

So all that money you've saved from not boozing is now being spent on physio, universal balance of the bank a/c.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    This is a place for people with a shared passion to hang out, I like it here. The passion to reduce cars on the road, keep fit, embrace the simple things (except when bike related!)

I am not enough of a road cyclist to brave the road forum. I would feel like a right numpty asking the kind of questions I need answers to there.

I have an MTB but don't use it enough to look on that one.

Riding to work, and the mentality which unites people who do it is what this is all about. I have made friends here and through that my passion for my bike has increased, as has my awareness of issues around keeping safe when I ride to work.

I couldn't have found that in any other place.

Oh, and you're all quite amusing, too :wink:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • itboffin
    Whilst we're on the subject of cakes.....

When preparing toast with peanut butter do you butter the bread before apply the nutty topping (WARNING MAY CONTAIN NUTS)?

What would be the point after all it's peanut BUTTER!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • linsen
    I never apply peanut butter under any circumstances.

Marmite every time.
  • itboffin wrote:

When preparing toast with peanut butter do you butter the bread before apply the nutty topping (WARNING MAY CONTAIN NUTS)?

I have a jar of date and lime chutney which is quite tastefully decorated apart from a big ugly sticker which shouts 'Warning! May contain mustard!...

Why? Is mustard a potent allergen?

Anyhoo. As you were.
  • itboffin
    marmite yummy

I had one peanut & butter, one marmite and one plain butter mmmm

toast rules :D
  • I just had toast and vegemite...

yummy.

also much better than marmite
  • itboffin wrote:

I have a jar of date and lime chutney which is quite tastefully decorated apart from a big ugly sticker which shouts 'Warning! May contain mustard!...

Anyhoo. As you were.
    I defy anyone NOT to sneeze when they encounter powdered mustard.

They might also have been referring to mustard gas, in which case you should be grateful for the warning.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    itboffin wrote:

GAH I'm allergic to this thread now :shock:
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Anyhoo. As you were.

They might also have been referring to mustard gas, in which case you should be grateful for the warning.

When you say encounter are you referring to snorting mustard powered :shock:
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...let's say Commuting is a "life style" kinda thing...it's a state of mind...a way of living...an expression of who you are...am I talking bollocks?
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Anyhoo. As you were.

When you say encounter are you referring to snorting mustard powered :shock:
    No, that's prescription only.
    In my experience (of a jar that appears to be decades old in the cupboard) mustard powder readily becomes airborne.
  • itboffin wrote:

Anyhoo. As you were.

I would be grateful for the warning were that the case! Seeing as I'm not dead I doubt it.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    It's a lovely day isn't it. Juyst look at that lovely sunshine. Hmmmm I think I might go out for a nice long ride :twisted:
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • Littigator wrote:
    It's a lovely day isn't it. Juyst look at that lovely sunshine. Hmmmm I think I might go out for a nice long ride :twisted:

Damn you! I wanna go outside and play :(
  • linsen
    Have you noticed that ketchup contains the warning that it contains celery?

Two questions:
    a) Just what lead anyone to think, when they were inventing ketchup, that a touch of celery would make any difference whatsoever?
    b) who on earth is allergic to celery?
  • itboffin
    Littigator wrote:

Ah the joys of unemployment :lol:

I'm off to the LBS to talk b*llo*ks for a couple of hours whilst spending more money I don't have, then after a leisurely lunch I might go for a ride on my new CX bike popping on and off road as my mood and the terrain sees fit.

Lovely warm sun shine and a clear blue sky :lol:
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Greg66 wrote:
    ...You look in here for information about commuting? :shock:

In all seriousness, why?
    "True" commuting threads run to such exciting and pulse-racing topics as "should I get a hybrid or a MTB" (waddya think on that one, Spitchips?); "what bag should I use?"; "are hi-viz jackets/lights a good idea?" and "should I RLJ/undertake/shout at WVM etc?". Really, there's very, very little to it....

Personally, I look in here to discuss commuting issues, share experiences whether they be good or bad, a problem or solution.
    Greg66 wrote:
    ...The point, though, and utility of this forum is that for a large number of adults commuting by bike represents their first return to riding since childhood. ...

These are the sort of people that I was thinking about when I posted: newbies. Take a step back and think of the questions that you had when you were starting commuting. Where would you look for answers? Would you be encouraged or discouraged looking through here? I'd be inclined to go elsewhere - there are plenty of cycling forums.
    Greg66 wrote:
    ...That return then becomes a springboard for all sorts of other enquiries - maintenance, new bikes, uber bikes, sportives, racing, triathlon, sponsored rides, weight loss, nutrition, hydration and so on. But those enquirers don't cease to be commuters just because they ask those questions. ...
    I'd hope that is the case; it's certainly true in my experience.

A sportive rider doesn't cease to be a sportive rider because they commute as well - or cycle tour, or MTB etc. Most on here aren't limited to one form of cycling. It's not a question of what type, or combination of types, of cyclist you consider yourself to be, it's a question of the subject of a thread and the appropriate place to post it.
    Greg66 wrote:
    ...Turning this place into a revolving door for itinerants to swing through on their way to another forum would be a big mistake IMO. ...
    Why would it be a 'revolving door'? It isn't an all or nothing issue. Have a lurk on other forums and you'll see that the commuting sections are inhabited by some very seasoned commuters.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    linsen wrote:
    Have you noticed that ketchup contains the warning that it contains celery?

Two questions:
    a) Just what lead anyone to think, when they were inventing ketchup, that a touch of celery would make any difference whatsoever?
    b) who on earth is allergic to celery?

Well, the Italians are aware celery and tomato work very well together - any ragu or tomato sauce* worth its salt will likely have celery as part of its base make-up.

*obv if you have good enough tomatoes you can just use tomatoes. I live in the UK, where we don't.

And b) - I'm allergic to lettuce, so clearly it is possible to be allergic to the most harmless, mimsy foodstuffs!
  • I don't believe it is possible to be allergic to lettuce? Are you allergic to the green bit or what?
    Dan
  • biondino
    Yep! It's barely noticeable with iceberg, and more and more pronounced the stronger the lettuce is - rocket, for example, gives me painful stomach cramps for hours. It might be intolerance rather than allergy, I don't know the technicalities, but it certainly disagrees with me!
  • linsen
    Not to mention porridge :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Littigator wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'm off to the LBS to talk b*llo*ks for a couple of hours whilst spending more money I don't have, then after a leisurely lunch I might go for a ride on my new CX bike popping on and off road as my mood and the terrain sees fit.

Lovely warm sun shine and a clear blue sky :lol:

You complete and utter fcukers. :cry:

Mind the black ice yeah...

:twisted:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    linsen wrote:

Is this a IOW blondie toilet stop reference?

Did Blondie have to run "for" the undergrowth...

... see what I did there? See?! :lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've just had some prawn cocktail flavour wotsits, they were delicious but they're still orange surely they should be pink?

I might write to walkers - should I do a poll? Should I do a poll to find out if I should do a poll?

answers on faxed copy of a emailed postcard please.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Crapaud wrote:

Personally, I look in here to discuss commuting issues, share experiences whether they be good or bad, a problem or solution.

These are the sort of people that I was thinking about when I posted: newbies. Take a step back and think of the questions that you had when you were starting commuting. Where would you look for answers? Would you be encouraged or discouraged looking through here? I'd be inclined to go elsewhere - there are plenty of cycling forums.

I have to say crapaud, that if you look through all the 'what bike' 'which lights' 'shorts advice' 'help I'm new to this I don't know what to do' types of thread, that you'll notice they're full of helpful advice and responses.

I do think commuting issues are discussed here, but I don't think it hurts to have a bit of side chat too. It's what makes the forum fun, and also (IMO) what keeps people coming back, and those people are the ones who give advice or offer help and opinions in relation to what you say above!

I started off posting in the special interest thread, which is pretty slow and quiet and where I waited a fair while for assistance, and quickly moved over to here when Clever Pun started the 'ss commuting' thread. Everyone's been very friendly and helpful, I've learnt a hell of a lot, and I see it as a good thing that I've also made some friends.

You'll note I've cropped the last bit of your and greg's posts, that's because I don't understand what you both are on about. Sorry if that's the crux of your argument.
  • Littigator
    Littigator Posts: 1,262
    linsen wrote:

Is this a IOW blondie toilet stop reference?

Did Blondie have to run "for" the undergrowth...

... see what I did there? See?! :lol:

No?!

tumbleweed_004.jpg
    Roadie FCN: 3

Fixed FCN: 6
  • biondino
    Lindsey kindly made me porridge on the morning of the IOW ride and I just didn't get on with it. No ill effects, mind, and I did eat most of it so I'm sure it gave me energy!

No toilet stops of *that* nature though I did need to have a wee about every 20 minutes once we'd left the pub. Odd, that.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'll just add that I used to be a regular on two local interests forums, until the people who ran them both got over-zealous with making more and more categories and sub-categories. It seemed like any time a new branch of discussions got going, bam, it got its own sub-category, threads were moved to them, and people were told off by the mods for going off-topic in the old categories. On one of them, threads were even locked as soon as the original point of the thread had dried up.

Don't suppose this place will become that extreme (I hope!) but just a warning about getting picky about splitting topics up.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited February 2009
    Crapaud wrote:

I'd hope that is the case; it's certainly true in my experience.

A sportive rider doesn't cease to be a sportive rider because they commute as well - or cycle tour, or MTB etc. Most on here aren't limited to one form of cycling. It's not a question of what type, or combination of types, of cyclist you consider yourself to be, it's a question of the subject of a thread and the appropriate place to post it.

Crapaud you make some valid points so I have to use myself, a person who started commuting 5 days a week properly in August 2008, as the best example I can give.

It took me a long time to get use to the idea of commuting to work (weirdly before Uni it wasn't a problem). I started commuting last year on a Giant M2 and I used to frequent the beginners forum mostly for advice on what bike to get. If not for Silly Commuter Racing and the banter, I wouldn't have bought my road bike and I would be riding to work less as my M2 was giving me a bad back - the problem with the size of the M2 I identified amongst the banter in the SCR thread. Despite the banter I learned a hell of lot about road safety. As of typing this there is honestly very little that could stop me from cycling to work now (I just rode to work right through November and December - which was a personal goal) and consider that I'm still in my rookie year of commuting to work.

If not for the banter and social interaction, if not for SCR I probably wouldn't be as knowledgable or competent at cycling as I am now. Learning to change a cassette, carrying a spare tube instead of trying to fix the puncture at the side of the road, replace the bottom bracket etc are all things I learnt here as well as how to ride safely during the winter and what kit to buy, which helped me keep riding through the winter.

Without the banter with Greg, LiT, Bass, Jash, CJCP, ITB, Biondino et al I wouldn't be considering my first Sportive and when the time comes I'll post in the respective thread but my growth into the cycling World was born out of being able to interact with the people in this section on all levels. Yes sometimes it goes too far, sometimes it gets heated and gets a little too personal for my liking but I can look past that because there are instances like Freewheel riding with Bassjunkie or riding with Greg66 from the Mopeth when the experience and learning from watching them do their thing far outweighs any complaints about 'cake' discussed here.

If there was a forum section about diet and training, I probably wouldn't post in it to be honest. I prefer someone like Greg or ITB calling me a fat b*st*rd, having a laugh and giving me advice all in one post as has happened and has helped me to shed pounds and increase my ability to ride further, faster for longer.

I've benefitted an incredible amount from this section and I do consider myself one of the main culprits for cake making but as with others if there is the oppurtunity to offer some serious sensible advice I'll give it and I know I can get it and because of the relationship developed through the banter I trust who is giving me that advice.

Just saying.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game