Trails in Bath

fergyorbea
fergyorbea Posts: 116
edited February 2009 in Routes
Hi anyone know of any decent off road rides in and around Bath. Have been to bristol and there are a few places i go to in Bath but any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Yep. There are some decent trails on either side of the valley between Bathampton and Bradford-on-Avon via Limpley Stoke/Freshford/Monkton Coombe/Avoncliff/Turleigh/Monkton Farleigh/Bath Uni/Claverton Down. Mainly footpaths, which, fair enough, you're not supposed to ride on, but I've been riding these trails since 1988 and only met a few whingers along the way. Most paths are technical singletrack linked via country lanes/canal path. Downhill sections are usually steep, rooty and occaisionally rocky, and muddy after rain. If it all goes wrong, there are 3 train stations along the way, or the towpath will get you home too.
    You can put together a 20-25 mile XC route with decent pub stops, with loads of variations.

I think there's some stuff up at Banner Down too, and Lansdown Hill has some decent legitimate trails (ie bridleways) with nice pubs close by and fantastic views.

Bit of a road trek, but Box Woods are good for honing playtime jump skills too.

Basically, go up to the uni, or the Browns Folly pepperpot on the other side of valley, and explore...you can't really get lost.
  • Thanks for that. I ride footpaths and most walkers I meet are happy that I'm out on my bike so i feel fine riding on them. Thanks again for your help.
  • no worries, I think there's a group who ride on Wednesday evenings too, meeting near the back of the train station at 6pm I think, check with the staff at Avon Valley cylces.
  • OK thanks, I'm not really much of a night rider but I'll perhaps go along in the summer. Thanks again for your help.