a fork in my plans

iajo
iajo Posts: 19
edited February 2009 in MTB beginners
Buying a new bike around £500, done a load of research and decided on a db apex. It has the best spec for the cash. The problem is the rock shox tora 302 that comes with it, every review iv read slates them. Oil poring out seems to be the main problem and often before they have even been ridden. I had heard this about the dart range which put me off those.

Is there a fork that is up to the job, im 18 stone and will be riding over trails in the beacons and southwales. I have seen a kona hoss which has marzocchi dj2's but they have no lockout function. Will they be stiff enough for xc work?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nothing wrong with the Tora.

yes there have been a few probs with one or two but i would not be put off by that as there are a shed load out there working fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • iajo
    I thought it may only be a small number but as i am buying online after care is gonna be a pain in the arse. Might take the gamble tho
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Tora 302 is a well rated fork.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • iajo
    two helpful comments so far, is there anything that cant be fixed with tape or wd40. Heres the two bikes i am stuck between what would you go for. I want reliability and something to improve on for about 12 months. I'l change when i get better, fitter and hopefully richer. Ignore the price i can get both for 500 ish. The apex and the hoss

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hoss-10807
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... x-08-29304

Hopefully get one ordered tonight ready for the weekend!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tora one of the best forks I have ever used. Hundreds of thousands of them in use out there.

After care is good, but also depends on your shop.