routes around keswick

ledger
ledger Posts: 47
edited February 2009 in MTB rides
Anyone got any routes around the keswick area going there for a week for some walking and mtb'ing
Scott spark 35 09 with some ugrades

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Try the new Altura trail in whinlatter forest,19km worth a go.Loads of natural stuff if you have memory map or tracklogs try here:
    LINKY
    Or call in at Keswick bikes they'll give you some good route advice 8)
  • ledger
    ledger Posts: 47
    thank for the reply will try it
    Scott spark 35 09 with some ugrades
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    ledger wrote:
    Anyone got any routes around the keswick area going there for a week for some walking and mtb'ing

If you'll PM me your e-mail address I'll send you some route maps.

There's so much stunning natural round there the Altura's kind of redundant. The only plus point for it is that you won't (or at least shouldn't) encounter any peds.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • The Borrowdale Bash ride is a must if your visiting Keswick. If Dave above doesn't already send it to you I have a gpx of the route.
  • sniper68
    The Borrowdale Bash ride is a must if your visiting Keswick. If Dave above doesn't already send it to you I have a gpx of the route.
    I don't actually think the Borrowdale Bash that good.Half road half off road.The offs are good but far too much road slogging for me.
  • Half road half off road
    it's a damn sight less than half on the road.

Were there an offroad alternative from Keswick to Watlendath, I agree it would improve it significantly however.
  • dave_hill
    it's a damn sight less than half on the road.

Errr actually it's about 65/35 tarmac to off-road.

If you think about it, the off-road sections are Watendlath to Rosthwaite; just above the cattle-grid on Honister down to Grange in Borrowdale; then from Manesty to Hawes End. There's a lot less off-road than you think on this route, but it is absolutely classic.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Hawes End? Do you not take the offroad route from there to Portinscale?
  • Were there an offroad alternative from Keswick to Watlendath, I agree it would improve it significantly however.

There is. Only problem is that it's a footpath, rocky enough for bike lifting in parts, and full of walkers. If you go when it's quiet you can miss the top half of the road climb. Having been on it once I now stick to the tarmac, but others use it regularly.
    Frank Yates
  • just above the cattle-grid on Honister

Why go all the way up Honister on tarmac when you can take an easier bridleway from the foot of the climb?
    Frank Yates
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    Not done it yet but a bloke at work reckons the lonscale fell loop which is in the Lake District mountain biking route book is a good un.
  • The Lonscale Fell route is excellent as a the beginnings of a ride that then takes in the Bash.
    Frank Yates
  • OwenB
    Cool, might have to be worth a run up one weekend then. Mind you he's recovering from a broken back and ribs from a crash at Whinlatter so might be a while before he can guide us around :(
  • Guide? Round there? Bit over the top that.
    Frank Yates
  • OwenB
    I'm directionally challenged :cry: I get lost on roundabouts with one turn off
  • dave_hill
    Hawes End? Do you not take the offroad route from there to Portinscale?

Is there one? Bear in mind that it's probably 15 years since I last rode this route so it could have changed a bit since I was there last... :shock:

Even so, it's still more tarmac than off-road.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    OwenB wrote:
    I'm directionally challenged

Nonsense! It's all about application man!! :D

Thing is if you rely on being guided all the time, you'll never learn yourself!!
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:

Is there one? Bear in mind that it's probably 15 years since I last rode this route so it could have changed a bit since I was there last... :shock:

Even so, it's still more tarmac than off-road.

Tecnically it's a footpath, but lots ride it. Comes out near Nicol End Marine, just short of the village
    Frank Yates
  • OwenB
    dave_hill wrote:
    OwenB wrote:
    I'm directionally challenged

Nonsense! It's all about application man!! :D

Thing is if you rely on being guided all the time, you'll never learn yourself!!

This is the year for me to learn to map read then I guess :D Though if you see a big bloke looking lost you will help won't you???? :wink:
  • sniper68

Probably not because all the off road routes from Hawes end to Portinscale are FPs not BWs and so not legal to ride.As are all paths other than the road to Watendlath.
  • dave_hill
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Probably not because all the off road routes from Hawes end to Portinscale are FPs not BWs and so not legal to ride.

Thought so... :roll:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic