ribble nero corsa or planet x

markjbanks
markjbanks Posts: 87
edited February 2009 in Road beginners
hi

im building my first road bike, i have sorted all the componets but still cant make my mind on what frame. its either planet x sl pro or ribble nero corsa, i will be mostly doing sportives and fitness so what what people thought, also if people have either and what they think, the pros and cons etc.?

cheers

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Ribble Nero Corsa is one proper ugly looking frame.

The small P-X won't take a bottle cage on the seat tube.

Therefore if I needed a small in P-X I'd get a Nero Corsa, but if I was any other size I'd get a P-X
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • im 6"1 so would be a large or x large frame, what bout the ribble debacciai ribelle or the new sprotive frame?
  • redddraggon
    I'd get a P-X then, they are pretty good frames
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • im not to bothered what it looks like tho! i see you hav a nero corsa, is it all bad then?
  • redddraggon
    markjbanks wrote:
    im not to bothered what it looks like tho! i see you hav a nero corsa, is it all bad then?

There's nothing techically wrong with the bike - comfortable but stiff enough, and the handling is good - I'd be more than happy if my next bike felt exactly the same but actually looked good.

Geometry is a bit rubbish - when I bought the frame I wanted a 55cm top tube, but the head tube is about an inch longer than the other frames I was considering and that annoys me a bit - but it wouldn't bother anyone else if they don't have bike OCD like me. I probably should have got the 51cm instead of the 54cm, and I guess I learnt that the hard way.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have the P-X, I couldn't be happier with it! Can't compare it with the Ribble, I have no experience (though I tried, but their non-response to emails and rude and unhelpful telephone manner lost them the sale). I would suggest you would get a better buying experience from Planet-X, also, Ribble have been known to be a bit elusive regarding warranty issues. Planet-X customer and after sales service, whilst non-traditional, is top notch, and you won't get ignored.
  • the other problem is if i go for the planet x is the size im 6"1 and the planet x site says:

Rider Height - 5′10″ to 6′2″ - LARGE
    Rider Height - 6′1″ to 6′6″ - X-Large

so what would you say would be the better size for me to go for?
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    alfablue wrote:
    Planet-X customer and after sales service, whilst non-traditional, is top notch, and you won't get ignored.

+1 Planet X are a fantastic company to deal with ( I speak from experience )
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    markjbanks wrote:
    the other problem is if i go for the planet x is the size im 6"1 and the planet x site says:

Difficult to say, I tend to prefer smaller than larger frames, my medium seems spot on for me at 5'10", I would say I'm bang in the middle for that size. Take a look at the geometry and the top tube length (virtual or effective) then compare this with a bike you know you are comfy on (and account for different stem lengths and bar reach etc). I sized mine by comparing the dimensions against my Audax bike, and the approach worked well. You have to take care about how the measurements are taken (eg Centre to Centre, Centre to Top etc, effective rather than actual top tube). Going XL could get you too stretched out, though of course you can change the stem length by a couple of cm either way depending on what size you get.
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... I've got a 51cm Ribble Deda Nero Corsa and all my club mates think it looks great! By the way, if you plan to use the bike for Sportives then surely a high front end is desirable? Ribble are doing a great Deal on the Deda Nero Corsa frameset at the moment...
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • redddraggon
    Pork Sword wrote:
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... I've got a 51cm Ribble Deda Nero Corsa and all my club mates think it looks great! By the way, if you plan to use the bike for Sportives then surely a high front end is desirable? Ribble are doing a great Deal on the Deda Nero Corsa frameset at the moment...

Jeez, my frame is bearable, if it had Ribble decals on it too, I'd be puking in my mouth slightly every time I saw it........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • If you hate the bike that much mate perhaps you should sell it or... shut it!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • markjbanks wrote:
    the other problem is if i go for the planet x is the size im 6"1 and the planet x site says:

I'm 6' 1" with a 34" inside leg and I got a Large PX frame - which is spot on.
    Mens agitat molem
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    bazbadger wrote:
    markjbanks wrote:

I'm 6' 1" with a 34" inside leg and I got a Large PX frame - which is spot on.

i second that.

get the large
  • finaly decided on the nero corsa after much research but the only problem is i want 1 without decals! does any1 know where i can get 1 from or it they will be removable? cheers
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    edited February 2009
    you have made a very good choice.. you would be surprised how many BIG bike companies use that nero corsa frame and just re badge it..

I dunno about the PX bikes - I have never seen one being ridden.

There is nothing wrong with ribble bikes.. Dunno why you would want to remove the decals -

E2A : I still have a Nero Corsa Frameset from last year. There is nothing wrong with it at all and is very comfortable for rides 120mile+

Unfortunately for the Nero Corsa frame, I have decided to give racing a go and bought myself a race geometry frame.. If I wasn't racing and doing Time Trials then I would probably keep it.
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    Doobz wrote:
    Dunno why you would want to remove the decals

They're ugly :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • where did you get yours reddraggon?
  • Doobz
    Doobz wrote:
    Dunno why you would want to remove the decals

They're ugly :wink:

lol - I like to ride my bike not jerk off over it.. Different strokes for Different folks I guess
    cartoon.jpg
  • redddraggon
    I bought the frame+forks from Chainreaction cycles

Think they might still have some and merlin have some too.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    Doobz wrote:
    lol - I like to ride my bike not jerk off over it..

I guess that's why you paid Ribble to jerk off all over it then :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    you filthy boy - I hope someone washes your road rash with tabasco..

only kidding bro ;)
    cartoon.jpg
  • Cant speak for Planet X, but I have bought stuff from On-One (P-X's sister company), and the communcation was excellent. Frame was brilliant, light, and had a great finish on it too - welds were good painwork good. I apprieciate your after a carbon bike, but if they're other stuff is anything to go by (it usually is) you can't do much better, if any, at that price range. And conisderably more.

Really good companies.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Most of the cheaper carbon frames are mass produced - you can spot them if you look close - all re-badged, or re-painted..... that's what you are buying - a good frame, but nothing special.

I wouldn't knock the Ribble version, neither would I knock any other mass produced frame.....like virtually every carbon bike these days........ most come from the same place these days.........
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    markjbanks wrote:
    finaly decided on the nero corsa after much research but the only problem is i want 1 without decals! does any1 know where i can get 1 from or it they will be removable? cheers

Merlin Cycles used to sell the Deda frame is that helps - they didn't put their name on it.

I went for the Ribble and I'm really pleased with it. I thinks it's fairly attractive and it handles great. The front end isn't that high but Ribble do seem to put plenty of Spacers on it. Good choice I reckon.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.