Rides near Swanage or anywhere in Dorset

Legless
Legless Posts: 119
edited February 2009 in MTB rides
I wonder if anyone can help, i am headed down to Swanage next week to stay at my GF flat for a weeks holiday in the UK, sadly can't run to the usual snowboard trip as the Euro is so strong. We both ride to a reasonable standard, have done a couple of local loops near there and also been to Wareham forest and found some epic single track there.

But is there anything amazing in that neck of the woods that I am missing, anyone know any links to routes? We will head to Haldon Forest for a day or two so don't mind driving to get some good riding. Looking for anything from XC singletrack to good DH, although huge jumps aren't an option...

Cheers in advance!

Rou

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Check out some of the hills behind Ulwell Farm caravan park (First left after the "welcome to swanage sign and the swan")

I usually head out that way for family holidays and have always wanted to bring my bike up those there.

You can carry on further down towards Durlston head also. :D

Just suggestions though, I'm not too quizzed up on the area.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The dunes on the approach to the ferry can be interesting, much to see :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Legless
    Legless Posts: 119
    I just found Avon Tyrrell Trails near Bournemouth, they sound quite good, anyone been?
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    Ooooooh matron! Yes, teh dunes at Studland Beach gave me quite a fright once! For those who don't know, it's a nudist beach!

I rode around Wareham Woods for the last time last year, when a huge adder shot across some singletrack, just missing my front wheel by inches... beware of snakes there!

Riding the full length of the Purbecks (esp. in summer of course) is the classic ride down in Dor-zet. A little challanging around Corfe Castle where it dips sharply, but a must for riders of all abilities. Just be warned that some of the chalk can be slippy in teh wet, hence best to ride it when dry and sunny.

Most MTB territory is in the North of Dorset I think. Great road run from Dorchester to Portland Bill if bored.

KK